Auto body repair & detailing/Touchup

What do dealerships do to cover up scratches to make cars more desirable? I have a gray Elantra I got a year or two ago and never bumped into anything and scratches have gradually appeared. Also how can cars be affordably be patched up with coloring to make it look better? A whole new paint job would cost half the value of the car (at the time of buying).

Hi James,

If you're dealing with basically clearcoat scratches you can polish those out with a fine polish and soft buffing pad. If you have scratches that are deep they may not polish out and will require touch-up paint. You can tell the difference by running your fingernail over the scratch, as a general rule if your nail catches on the scratch it will require touch-up paint. If it doesn't you should be able to polish the scratch out. Again this is a general rule and may not apply to all paint finishes.   

There are also some colored waxes on the market that are designed to fill in the scratch and make it invisible. I personally have not had success in using this type product.

Here are some links to different products that I have used and have worked for me:

For Cured Clear-coat:

For New Clear-coat:

Buffing / Polishing Pads:

Touch-Up Bottles:
Touch-Up Aerosols:

Sand Paper for removing light scratches:

Auto body repair & detailing

I can answer most questions on auto refinishing materials. Especially PPG products. I have knowledge in the latest repair materials and techniques. When it comes to automotive paint I have a solid understanding of how things work.

I have worked in a PPG paint retail/wholesale business for the last 15 years. I have dealt with many issues regarding paint and repair materials on a daily basis over the years. I don't know that I have all the answers but I would be willing to try.

PPG Trained and Certified. Training with 3M products and Meguair's products.