Auto body repair & detailing/how to smooth out touch ups

Question
I accidentally reversed my bumper into a metal post and scratched/ chipped some paint off. I started by placing touch up paint on the small area, but as I did not sand the edge, it is very rough and is obvious. Is there a way to smooth out the area? what do I use?
Many Thanks for your advice!

Answer
Hi Cindy,

You will need to build the paint up by applying in several coats with dry time between each coat. Once you have the surface of the paint higher than the existing paint around it you will need to wet sand using 2000 grit sand paper until the touch up paint is level with the surrounding surface, then polish using a rubbing compound. This won't be a perfect solution but should render a pretty good result without repainting the entire bumper.  

Auto body repair & detailing

Gary