You are here:

Auto body repair & detailing/Ford Mustang soft top


Hi Dave,  I have a 2012 Ford Mustang black soft top convertible. The placticized stitched edges where the top folds when closing has cracked slightly, exposing a white interwoven cloth-type edging band.  The gap exposed is less than 1/4". I feel I need to chaulk/glue where the plastic edges have cracked. I feel that either the Loctite RTV 598 Silicone Black Chaulk or maybe the JB Weld Black Gasket Maker/Sealant 32329 might work.  Do you have any suggestions on this repair or the best product I should consider.  Thanks so much!!!  Peter

Hi Peter....The most effective repair method in this case, would be to make sure the top is at room temperature, or as close as possible. If you have a heated garage at home, or if not, you can wait for a warm and sunny day, you will get the best results. Also, release the 2 latches on the header, as to relieve the stress on the top, and to also give you the ability to stretch the fabric into position before applying the adhesive. Once the adhesive has been applied, top fabric set into position, and allowed to cure, the top will be a little tighter when closing. After a few days in warmer weather, the top will relax back to it's usual tension.

In regards as to which product to use, from the material data sheet on both the Loctite and JB Weld products, unfortunately, neither mentions uses, other than that of engine or mechanical applications. As I definitely do not want to steer you in the wrong direction, I honestly don't think these would work well. What I did find, is a product called "Plastic Weld-Quick Setting 5 Minute Epoxy" from JB Weld. For your particular repair, this is the only one that I can find that is closest for your application. The only problem, is that the color is off white. You can check it out on JB's website, under the heading "Plastic/Composite/PVC".

That all being said, what I have actually used in the past for a similar repair, is LePages "Pres-Tite" Contact cement, as it worked quite well. The only problem with it, is it is yellow. Another option, would be to contact a local Automotive upholstery/trim repair shop, and see what product they might recommend.

Hope this helps you out. If there is anything else I can help you out with, please drop me another line....Thanks....Dave.

Auto body repair & detailing

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dave Norgardt


Absolutely anything autobody related... Frame repair, suspension, alignment, panel replacement, panel repair, fiberglass, plastic repair, paint, air bags, etc.....


Over 30 years in related areas. 25 years in HEAVY frame repair, suspension, and alignment procedures. As well as panel replacement and repairs, etc.....

Journeyman Autobody Technician with Red Seal/Interprovincial certification from N.A.I.T. in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Top Achiever award second year, also from N.A.I.T. Also have Platinum status from I-Car Canada...Also have Journeyman Partsman Certificate, Lethbridge, Alberta...

Awards and Honors
Second Year Top Achiever from N.A.I.T.Edmonton

©2017 All rights reserved.