You are here:

Auto body repair & detailing/sectiong procedures


hi i work for a chrysler dealership body shop. we do have pretty good sources of finding sectioning procedures. but i have ran into a dead end on this 1.. could you help.. i have a 2008 dodge dakota crew cab. i am looking for the sectioning procedures for the pass. side appature. i have pulled it on framewrack an almost done i just need to know thee actual sectrioning procedures to this to replace the appature.  have looked at the new part inner an outterv is hss an is all 1 complete unit. will be putin both inner an outter panels in. just need the actrual locations to cut an weld. also for more info am i-car certified. thank you...

Hi Chad....When sectioning in any structural component, there are 2 ways to do this correctly, depending upon which area is in need of repair. In regards to sectioning the A,B,C or D pillar, the required method of repair, is to use a "Butt Joint" with an insert/sleeve, or an "Offset Butt Joint" without an insert/sleeve. When using a n insert/sleeve, it will need to extend a minimum of 2 inches on both sides of the splice line, and also be plug welded into place. Just as a note, when splicing any pillar, try to splice in the middle. That way, you will have less chance of running into inner reinforcements.

When sectioning in a rocker panel, the recommended and proper procedure for this would be a "Butt Joint" with an  insert/sleeve.

In regards to welding, using a MIG with C25 gas and a wire size of .023 is also recommended for a structurally accepted repair.

That being said, I have worked for a Chrysler Dealer Autobody shop for the past 20+ years. There is a website available for Chrysler Techs, it's called "Dealer Connect". You will just need to talk to your Autobody Shop Foreman, or your Service Manager, to sign up and get access. From there, you will be able to find out exactly where the recommended areas are for sectioning.

Hope this helps you out....Drop me a line if there is anything else I can try and help you out with....Thanks for your question...Dave.

Auto body repair & detailing

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dave Norgardt


Absolutely anything autobody related... Frame repair, suspension, alignment, panel replacement, panel repair, fiberglass, plastic repair, paint, air bags, etc.....


Over 30 years in related areas. 25 years in HEAVY frame repair, suspension, and alignment procedures. As well as panel replacement and repairs, etc.....

Journeyman Autobody Technician with Red Seal/Interprovincial certification from N.A.I.T. in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Top Achiever award second year, also from N.A.I.T. Also have Platinum status from I-Car Canada...Also have Journeyman Partsman Certificate, Lethbridge, Alberta...

Awards and Honors
Second Year Top Achiever from N.A.I.T.Edmonton

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]