Auto body repair & detailing/Dull Chrome trim 79Silverado

Almost all my chrome looks like the bright alum has a haze over it.  It seems to have a clear coating over it that prevents polishing the alum.  I have polished, striped and sanded and have had only a little success.  I have tried striping sanding an polishing using several different products and 400 grit paper.  Seems I cannot get the coating off the trim so I can get to the metal to shine it.

Any suggestions?

Hi Bruce....The easiest and most effective method to remove the anodized coating on the trim, is to actually use Sodium Hydroxide (Lye), diluted with water. You should be able to pick this up at your local hardware retail store. Please check the label to see what ratio of Lye to water is recommended for such an application. Also, and most importantly, please remember to use all safety equipment ( Safety glasses, proper gloves, respirator, etc., ) when using this chemical.

If you have not already removed the trim from the vehicle, unfortunately you will need to do so in order to use this method. You will also need to have a suitable container large enough, and chemical resistant, to soak the trim and solution in. Once the trim is in the Sodium Hydroxide/Water solution, the anodized coating will come off by scrubbing with steel wool. After the coating has been removed, thoroughly rinse the trim off with clean water, and allow them to dry completely. Once this has been done, you can now start the sanding/polishing process.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to drop me another line anytime....Thanks....Dave.

Auto body repair & detailing

Dave Norgardt

Absolutely anything autobody related... Frame repair, suspension, alignment, panel replacement, panel repair, fiberglass, plastic repair, paint, air bags, etc.....

Over 30 years in related areas. 25 years in HEAVY frame repair, suspension, and alignment procedures. As well as panel replacement and repairs, etc.....

Journeyman Autobody Technician with Red Seal/Interprovincial certification from N.A.I.T. in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Top Achiever award second year, also from N.A.I.T. Also have Platinum status from I-Car Canada...Also have Journeyman Partsman Certificate, Lethbridge, Alberta...

Second Year Top Achiever from N.A.I.T.Edmonton