Auto body repair & detailing/Paint

Hi, I attached an image. I was trying to fix a paint chip and I used too much scratch leveler and now I got this smudge. Is there a way I could fix it with some over the counter materials? thanks

Hi Jackie....Thank you for the picture, as this definitely helps me out. First, the large area surrounding the chip which appears to be white and faded, is the clear coat. Being that the clear coat does not appear from the picture to be removed excessively, you should be able to use a finishing compound followed up with a hand glaze to bring back the shine. An indication that the clear should be able to be brought back, is that there are no excessive decisive dark blue areas, unlike the chip which is quite apparent. Check with your local Autobody/Auto Parts retailer, as some of these will supply free sample packs of polish. Next, you will need to build up the chip with multiple applications of touch up paint, to bring the surface level above the existing material. After this has been completed, you will then need to wet sand the chip with 1500/2000 grit sandpaper to level it out. Finally, finish up with polishing the area again with first the finishing compound, then the hand glaze....Hope this helps you out....If you have any further questions, please write me back....Thanks....Dave.  

Auto body repair & detailing

Dave Norgardt

Absolutely anything autobody related... Frame repair, suspension, alignment, panel replacement, panel repair, fiberglass, plastic repair, paint, air bags, etc.....

Over 30 years in related areas. 25 years in HEAVY frame repair, suspension, and alignment procedures. As well as panel replacement and repairs, etc.....

Journeyman Autobody Technician with Red Seal/Interprovincial certification from N.A.I.T. in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Top Achiever award second year, also from N.A.I.T. Also have Platinum status from I-Car Canada...Also have Journeyman Partsman Certificate, Lethbridge, Alberta...

Second Year Top Achiever from N.A.I.T.Edmonton