Auto body repair & detailing/Paint comming off

Question
QUESTION: Could you please look at these pictures and tell me if you think the reason this paint is coming off is due to a repair not completed properly.
History- In 2010 car was repaired and guaranteed for the life of my ownership. Now the only spot that was painted is doing this. The Co. said it was battery acid. then opened the hood and saw battery was on the other side. Then they say a rock must have hit it and take no responsibility. The thing that has me convinced it is something that was under all the work was the tiny speck that shows the beginning of the problem then it works outward.

ANSWER: Hi Cheryl....I received your question twice, but didn't receive the pictures. It may be a problem with the allexperts website....Please try and re-send it to me....Thanks....Dave

paint peeling
paint peeling  

another picture
another picture  
QUESTION: Here are the pictures

Answer
Hi again Cheryl....Thank you for the pictures. There is a paint condition called delamination, which this definitely appears to be. I will list a link below in regards to it. Delamination is caused by improper refinish/painting procedures, or a problem with the paint company's product. If you were given a lifetime guarantee for the repairs on your vehicle, there should be no problem having this honored from a reputable shop.  Also, if the refinishing procedure was done properly, and there was no issue with the company's product, in my 30 plus years in the Autobody trade, I have never seen a rock chip continue to spread. The initial rock chip will chip the paint, but the surrounding surface will not be affected.

Here is the link:

www.paintproblems.com/general_problems.htm

Hope this helps you out Cheryl. If you have any other question or concerns, please do not hesitate to write me back. I would also be interested in knowing if they will honor their warranty now....Thanks....Dave

Auto body repair & detailing

Dave Norgardt