Auto body repair & detailing/Moving Interior Trim/Seats Between Cars

Question
Hi, Dave! Hopefully you can help me. I have an opportunity to buy a car of the same model and year as my own but with a larger engine and half the miles. Only thing is that my car has an upgraded (and nicer color) interior and the seller's does not. I know seats can be removed and installed on a different car, but am I able to switch over the heated seat controls? The seller's car has the plastic caps over where the heated seat controls would be. Is the necessary wiring present, or can it be transferred over?

Thank you very much for your time,

Justin

Answer
Hi Justin.

In the majority of late model vehicles manufactured today, the main body wiring harness will usually only be equipped with the plugs and connectors, required for the ordered trim and option line of that vehicle. This is not to say, that there isn't the possibility of a base line model vehicle with very few options, being equipped with a high line model wiring harness. It all depends on the manufacturer, as I have come across this on more than a few occasions. For example, on some late model vehicles, ( Mostly Ford, Dodge and GM ), base model vehicles with manual mirrors and manual windows, will have a high trim line wiring harness installed, to allow installation of power accessories.

That being said, unfortunately, the only way to find out for sure, is to remove the carpeting, and see if there are any extra connectors for additional accessories.

Hope this helps you out Justin....If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to drop me another line....Thanks for your question....Dave  

Auto body repair & detailing

Dave Norgardt