Auto body repair & detailing/Passenger Side Mirror

Question
Hi there, I really hope you are the right person to ask. I was driving on the highway in a construction zone and luckily I tend to go under the posted speed limit so I was able to move enough to avoid any severe damage or injury. Unfortunately, one of the large orange barrels was placed out of line and directly in the lane. It ended up hitting my passenger side mirror. It was already damaged from a previous accident so it was loss to the abyss. And now that I'm an adult I have to figure out how to replace it. I assume that this problem is considered body work. The wires and plug are still there and and I don't see any damage. The plastic that should be attached to the mirror that the bolts go in to secure the mirror to the car were snapped off. So all three bolts are there and are actually still bolted in to the plastic. So it could've been far worse. My plan is to visit the auto parts salvage yards to see if I can find a mirror for a cheaper price before I order one. I have a 1995 Ford Mustang, and if I'm correct, the mirror interchangeable on both the '94 and '95 models. I know that I'll have to take off the inside panel to access the bolts, and I have done this before, but it's been awhile. I don't know what tools I'll need to do this. Is there any way you might know what tools and sizes I'll need to get the job done? I really appreciate any help you could offer at this point. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

Answer
Hi Faye.

Thank you very much, for your detailed description of what happened. As you mentioned, being that all three bolts are still there, and are still attached to the base of the mirror, it is not likely that there has been any damage to the door shell, where the mirror is attached. Good news for sure.

The tools that you will need to remove the door panel, and replace the mirror, would be as listed.

1/4 inch drive SAE/Metric socket set.
Multi bit screwdriver set.
Door panel clip remover tool.

Having these 3 basic tools, you should have no problem replacing the mirror at all. If you do run into a problem with anything though, please do not hesitate to drop me another line. I would be more than happy to help guide you through any issue you are having.

I also did some checking for you on our Cross Canada Keystone website. The part numbers for both left and right mirrors, and for both 1994 and 1995 Mustangs, are indeed interchangeable.

Hope this helps you out Faye....Thanks for your question....Regards, Dave.  

Auto body repair & detailing

Dave Norgardt