AutoCAD/Script in Autocad Lt

Greetings Bill,

I am currently using Autocad Lt 2011. I am trying to edit some attributes in a block that I made with a script file so that they can be done globally to the whole project. I can get my script to run OK if I already know the exact Value (or text) of the attribute I want to change. My problem is that I want to change the same set of attributes (it is in a drawing revision block) for each drawing, but I do not want to input the exact value for each, as they will be different for each individual drawing. Is there a wildcard variable that can be input to the script for the value of any attribute so that it can be changed to the new value.

Please let me know if this is possible for attributes.

Karen, you can do this, but not with command line version of the attedit command.  So scripts won't work.  Instead, use the PROPERTIES palette.  At the top-right of the palette is an icon for quick selection.  Use that to select BLOCK REFERENCE, NAME, Enter the name under Value, make sure Operator shows =Equals, select INCLUDE IN SELECTION SET, and click on OK.  At that point all the blocks of that name will be highlighted.  Now your Properties Palette should have all the block information included within.  Scroll down to attributes, look for the appropriate tag and Enter the new attribute value that you want to apply globally.  Press Enter.  All of the attributes of that tag within the blocks of that name will have changed.

I hope this helps.  Please let me know.

Bill DeShawn

Bill DeShawn

I can address all 2-D questions and some 3-D questions. I do programming in AutoLISP if it doesn`t involve solid modeling. I can also address menu customization issues and can help you find answers to questions I can`t answer by taking your question directly to Autodesk via their newsgroups.

I used to do electronic and mechanical design for a flat panel monitor manufacturer, and now I do architectural drafting for an architect. I did and do AutoLISP and menu customization and take pride in making my lisp routines to do the work exactly the way the client likes them done.

I had a routine published in CADENCE magazine (no longer in publication and taken over by CADALYST). Some of my routines are published on my website at

Certified completion of AutoCAD courses, AutoCAD employment experience since 1992