AutoCAD/Custom or industry-specific linetype resources

Question
QUESTION: Hi,  I'm working in AutoCAD 2012 on a PC.  I'm looking for linetypes specific to landscape architecture.  I did try making some myself, but I can't seem to make it work.  I know where are tons of sources for cad blocks and linetypes, but I can't seem to find any for landscape architecture.  

Do you know if a good resource or is there a simple way to create line types?    It seems that all the instructions I've found are missing a step because I don't get the expected responses to my input.

I'm not looking for anything too fancy, one is:
---/---/---/---/---/ (but solid rather than dashed lines),
another is: arrow . . . ---  . . . --- (with an arrow symbol, not the word) which designates the flow direction of a swale.  The flow direction line is usually curved so I'm really at a loss with that one.  I'm guessing it would have to be a polyline, but I'm not sure if that is possible.   

Any ideas?  Thank you!!!

ANSWER: Hey TC, linetypes are just series of positive/negative instructions for your pens (plotter) to lower/raise recursively when printing. Below custom linetypes should emulate what you described. However, if the Swale linetype is not working, that means the 'flowarrow.shx' is missing in your support directory. This shapefile contains the arrow head that we're adding in the mix. So let me know.

-JB

*SiltFence, Siltfence       ---/---/---
A,0.4,-0.025,["/",standard,u=0.0,y=-0.025,s=0.05,r=0.0],-0.075,0.4
*Swale, Swale          >...>...
A,.001,[FLOWARROW,flowarrow.shx,s=.025],.6,[FLOWARROW,flowarrow.shx,s=.025],-.125,.001,-.125,.001,-.125,.001,-.125,.001

QUESTION: Hi,  

Thank you! I tried to locate my .lin files but I can't seem to find them.  Do you know where they might be?  I searched all my AutoCAD files so I'm wondering is it's a different file extension?  I'm guessing that once I find them I can copy the file, replace it with your code and save it to the same folder to make them accessible through the layers manager.  Is that right?  

Dose the shapefile go in the same folder or somewhere else?

Thank you!!!!!

Answer
TC, welcome back...for the standard acad.lin installation, it should be located under your roaming profile, which is C:\Users\(user_name)\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\(vertical_product)\enu\Support\.
FYI, the AppData is normally a hidden folder. Open acad.lin with your notepad & scroll all the way down bottom of the list, then append (not replace) the custom linetypes below:

*SILTFENCE,Silt Fence       ---/---/---
A,0.4,-0.025,["/",standard,u=0,y=-0.025,s=0.05,r=0],-0.075,0.4
*FLOWLINE,Flow Line       --->...--->
A,0,.6,[FLOWARROW,flowarrow.shx,s=.025],-.125,0,-.125,0,-.125,0,-.125,0
*SWALE, Swale       ->-...->-
A,0,.3,[FLOWARROW,flowarrow.shx,s=.025],.3,-.125,0,-.125,0,-.125,0,-.125,0

As mentioned earlier, the flowarrow.shx will be missing. you can download mine from here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/392543/fonts/Flowarrow.shx

& add this shape to your support path like under your font folder (C:\program files\autodesk\(vertical_product)\fonts)

Restart your autocad session & try out your new linetypes. Let me know if you need anything else!

-JB

AutoCAD

Jory Borge