AutoCAD/Xrefs don't appear

Question
Hi Scott,
I've just bought Autocad Lt 2014. I opened a zip file with Xrefs. The dwg opened, in the layer properties manager were the Xrefs  (turned on, unfrozen etc) however the xref layers don't appear in the drawing.
I used to use autocad Lt 2007 at a beginner level so version 2014 is very different and I'm sure I just haven't pushed the right button (although I tried pushing everything I could think of!). Can you please explain in simple steps what I should do?
Thank-you
Bronwyn

Answer
layer properties manager
layer properties manag  
Hi Bronwyn,

Although 2007 and 2014 look quite different, the behaviour of XREFs has not changed in many, many versions.

There is one thing off the top: the layer filter in the layers properties palette looks different nowadays, and on the left hand side there is a list of layer filters.  

I think you are saying the XREF exists, but you cannot see the layers, yes?  if so, check the layer properties manager filters list and make sure the layers are all on there, and the invert filter box is unchecked.

I hope I understood your question; please let me know if you have any other questions, or have clarification for me.

Scott Wilcox

AutoCAD

Scott Wilcox