AutoCAD/coral draw/cad formats converted to 2d/cam

Hi Jory, I work in South Africa on a Rover A3.3 cnc machine.Lately im getting more work from designers and architects who use cad or coral.The cnc machine uses 2d/cam formats.They are .bpp files.The problem I have is when I import these files from the flashdrive, the cnc has to convert the cad files and 1-it takes extremely long to import, as well as every little change I make to the imported file once it is already imported, it loads the whole page again with all the info and takes a few minutes every time and 2-it often causes an error and shuts down the editor programme I am busy with.It creates alot of nodes on the curves which is causing tue time issue.I have changed the tolerance value on the cnc settings which helps it be faster but in turn it breaks the curve up into segments which the cnc brain does not always 'understand'.Is there a converter which can convert the coral/cad files to .bpp files before I import them?

Brendan, sorry i'm not familiar with .bpp file format (Rover A3.3). However i'm speculating that when ever you are importing the cad files from the flash drive, the cnc is taking forever to convert the files because it is having to decompress the DWG files. Dwg's are notorious for being highly compressed. This progressed over the years for portability purposes & of sharing files.
So what needs to be done is to convert the correl or DWG files to its most basic drawing data structure - also know as a DXF file format. Use these files instead & plug to your cnc for conversion. I know Autodesk offers free conversion to *.dxf called 'DWG TrueView'.

Please send me feedback if this improves your workflow. Good luck!

Best regards,
Jory Borge

Jory Borge

I'm an experienced CAD Leader with an empirical approach towards implementation and use of CAD applications in the most effective, efficient, and practical manner. I have extensive experience in 3D, programming, vigilant in evaluating new tools, and au fait with emerging technologies.

I've been in the CAD (2D/3D) industry for many years simplifying and formalizing design workflows, integrating databases, and leveraging automated approaches. I've also been an active member of Autodesk's education & feedback community for the past decade.

Autodesk Feedback Community Group | SITEOPS Certified Professionals

Austin College | Tarrant County College | ATI | BLUERIDGE Analytics

AUGI Top DAUG Dallas 2005