February 20, 2014

Dear Bill:

We're almost do you toggle this system variable.  It says 0 i.e. "read only," on the command line.  I want it to be set at 1...I turned off the "read only" mode in one place, I believe, but that didn't do the trick.  This could have been the problem with getting a good plot.

I'm all ears.

Very truly yours,

This is not a quick toggle system variable.  When you start a new drawing, if you are not using a template, and PSTYLEPOLICY is set to 0, drawing is set to use named plot styles. The plot style for new objects is set to the default defined in DEFPLSTYLE. The plot style for new layers is set to the default defined in DEFLPLSTYLE.

Judging by that statement above as provided by Autodesk via Express Tools system variable editor, I would say that if you are using a template to start your drawings, then whatever PSTYLEPOLICY is set for in that template drawing is what you're going to get in your new drawing.

If PSTYLEPOLICY is set to 1, you will get color-dependent plotting, not named plot styles.  The old way - before AutoCAD 2000.

PSTYLEMODE is the read-only system variable based on PSTYLEPOLICY.

Check that out and let me know how it goes.

Bill DeShawn

BTW, you sent a duplicate of this question somehow, so when you get a rejection, don't feel bad, I just rejected the duplicate question, that's all.

Bill DeShawn

I can address all 2-D questions and some 3-D questions. I do programming in AutoLISP if it doesn`t involve solid modeling. I can also address menu customization issues and can help you find answers to questions I can`t answer by taking your question directly to Autodesk via their newsgroups.

I used to do electronic and mechanical design for a flat panel monitor manufacturer, and now I do architectural drafting for an architect. I did and do AutoLISP and menu customization and take pride in making my lisp routines to do the work exactly the way the client likes them done.

I had a routine published in CADENCE magazine (no longer in publication and taken over by CADALYST). Some of my routines are published on my website at

Certified completion of AutoCAD courses, AutoCAD employment experience since 1992