AutoCAD/PSTYLESMODE - TURNING READ ONLY OFF

Question
February 20, 2014

Dear Bill:

We're almost there...how do you toggle this system variable.  It says 0 i.e. "read only," on the command line.  I want it to be set at 1...I turned off the "read only" mode in one place, I believe, but that didn't do the trick.  This could have been the problem with getting a good plot.

I'm all ears.

Very truly yours,

Sheldon

Answer
This is not a quick toggle system variable.  When you start a new drawing, if you are not using a template, and PSTYLEPOLICY is set to 0, drawing is set to use named plot styles. The plot style for new objects is set to the default defined in DEFPLSTYLE. The plot style for new layers is set to the default defined in DEFLPLSTYLE.

Judging by that statement above as provided by Autodesk via Express Tools system variable editor, I would say that if you are using a template to start your drawings, then whatever PSTYLEPOLICY is set for in that template drawing is what you're going to get in your new drawing.

If PSTYLEPOLICY is set to 1, you will get color-dependent plotting, not named plot styles.  The old way - before AutoCAD 2000.

PSTYLEMODE is the read-only system variable based on PSTYLEPOLICY.

Check that out and let me know how it goes.

Bill DeShawn
http://my.sterling.net/~bdeshawn

BTW, you sent a duplicate of this question somehow, so when you get a rejection, don't feel bad, I just rejected the duplicate question, that's all.
Bill

AutoCAD

Bill DeShawn