February 4, 2014

Dear Bill:

I am trying to install AutoCAD 2007 on a Dell Dimension E520 that I recently bought used from my computer guy.  It is running 32-bit Windows 7 Professional Edition.

Do you think that if I download AutoCAD's Service Pack 2 and get Autodesk's activation & request codes, I will be successful?

Also, I'm assuming I can install Autodesk's SP2 on my computer before I reinstall AutoCAD 2007.  Is this a correct assumption?

Very truly yours,

In the past, I have seen that when AutoCAD service packs get installed, thet actually appear to look at the registry and apply the fixes for the version of AutoCAD for which they were written. They can't do that unless AutoCAD is installed already.  After an installation, I believe you can still apply a service pack before activation. It is my understanding that activation can be done afterwards (days or weeks later). I think you can be successful. But don't get discouraged when you see the non-support error. Try continuing to install. If and when installation is complete, without any testing of AutoCAD on current drawings, install the latest service pack. Remember, lack of support does not necessarily mean incompatible.

Good luck

Bill DeShawn

I can address all 2-D questions and some 3-D questions. I do programming in AutoLISP if it doesn`t involve solid modeling. I can also address menu customization issues and can help you find answers to questions I can`t answer by taking your question directly to Autodesk via their newsgroups.

I used to do electronic and mechanical design for a flat panel monitor manufacturer, and now I do architectural drafting for an architect. I did and do AutoLISP and menu customization and take pride in making my lisp routines to do the work exactly the way the client likes them done.

I had a routine published in CADENCE magazine (no longer in publication and taken over by CADALYST). Some of my routines are published on my website at

Certified completion of AutoCAD courses, AutoCAD employment experience since 1992