February 12, 2014

Dear Bill:

I'm trying to launch AutoCAD and am encountering obstacles that leave me dumfounded (hopefully not dumb.)  The technicians out there might not be on my side!

I took my computer in to "install" AutoCAD 2007, and they only "installed" AutoCAD...when I wanted my computer to be "launch ready."  It seems the path to doing it myself has now been obscured as my operating system has apparently been reconfigured.  humm...

I bought the Longbow product, as you's looks like a good ready to download service packs as you had suggested...good...& finish installation with the help of Autodesk...good...but I dare not let other "fool around with my system?

I'm trying to line up a job & don't want to have to reinvent the microprocessor!

Any suggestions?

Very truly yours,

First, I NEVER take my computer to a computer tech to install AutoCAD.  Did they downgrade your status on your own computer from Administrator to a standard user?  Do you know how to add paths to files you use and to set up an AutoCAD profile?  What features of AutoCAD are not working?  What features are working that you would like to turn off?

Bill DeShawn

Bill DeShawn

I can address all 2-D questions and some 3-D questions. I do programming in AutoLISP if it doesn`t involve solid modeling. I can also address menu customization issues and can help you find answers to questions I can`t answer by taking your question directly to Autodesk via their newsgroups.

I used to do electronic and mechanical design for a flat panel monitor manufacturer, and now I do architectural drafting for an architect. I did and do AutoLISP and menu customization and take pride in making my lisp routines to do the work exactly the way the client likes them done.

I had a routine published in CADENCE magazine (no longer in publication and taken over by CADALYST). Some of my routines are published on my website at

Certified completion of AutoCAD courses, AutoCAD employment experience since 1992