February 14, 2014

Dear Bill:

Recently, my motherboard failed, which in turn, shorted out my hard disk I bought another computer.

Tried to install my dinosaur AutoCAD 2007 and got the message:  "THIS VERSION OF AUTOCAD ISN'T COMPATABLE WITH THIS VERSION OF WINDOWS."

I'm running Windows 7 Professional now and I was previously running Windows 7 Home Edition.

It was totally hard dealing with Autodesk the last time I had to reinstall my program.

Please save me!  Right now I don't have $4,000 on hand to upgrade.

Very truly yours,

I believe the reason you are seeing that message is because you are attempting to install 32-bit software on a 64-bit operating system.  That cannot be done natively.  I believe there has been some success running the setup in compatibility mode.  Also, I don't think Autodesk will send out new 64-bit disks for AutoCAD 2007, a seven-year-old product.  But there may be another solution, that might cost a little, but not nearly as much as purchasing a new version of AutoCAD.  I researched this problem and came up with a program that is available called "Longbow Converter V6".  This is supposed to be able to facilitate the installation of 32-bit AutoCAD onto 64-bit operating systems.  I found that program here:
Currently the price for a home user is $49.99

The web page purports full support for AutoCAD 2007.  I think you may be in luck.
I found an old review for the product here:
I couldn't find a bad review, or reviews associating the software with the word "ripoff".  These are all good signs that it's a good product.

Good luck.

Bill DeShawn  

Bill DeShawn

I can address all 2-D questions and some 3-D questions. I do programming in AutoLISP if it doesn`t involve solid modeling. I can also address menu customization issues and can help you find answers to questions I can`t answer by taking your question directly to Autodesk via their newsgroups.

I used to do electronic and mechanical design for a flat panel monitor manufacturer, and now I do architectural drafting for an architect. I did and do AutoLISP and menu customization and take pride in making my lisp routines to do the work exactly the way the client likes them done.

I had a routine published in CADENCE magazine (no longer in publication and taken over by CADALYST). Some of my routines are published on my website at

Certified completion of AutoCAD courses, AutoCAD employment experience since 1992