AutoCAD/Calculating BOQ

I want to calculate Bill of quantities for through AutoCAD Plans. I was hoping to manipulate tricks via making dynamic blocks and using data extraction but not helping much. I haven't worked on Auto Lisp yet, so cant make routines.

Can you share any ideas of how can I calculate quantities of each elements shown in AutoCAD drawings?

Not sure I can answer to quantities of "elements", but I have a routine available for you that can report to you the quantities of blocks in your drawing.  The name is BC.lsp.  BC stands for "Block Count".  To get this file, go to my website:
and scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on my email icon.  It's the one that looks like a rotating letter "e".  Then send me an email requesting BC.lsp, and I will reply with that file attached.

Another method:
Autodesk supplies another tool with it's EXPRESS TOOLS.  If you installed EXPRESS TOOLS, this routines will be available, but you have to load it (or autoload it), or load it with the appload startup suite.  The routine is SSX.lsp.  It is excellent for getting a count of many different kinds of elements.  Check it out.

Bill DeShawn

Bill DeShawn

I can address all 2-D questions and some 3-D questions. I do programming in AutoLISP if it doesn`t involve solid modeling. I can also address menu customization issues and can help you find answers to questions I can`t answer by taking your question directly to Autodesk via their newsgroups.

I used to do electronic and mechanical design for a flat panel monitor manufacturer, and now I do architectural drafting for an architect. I did and do AutoLISP and menu customization and take pride in making my lisp routines to do the work exactly the way the client likes them done.

I had a routine published in CADENCE magazine (no longer in publication and taken over by CADALYST). Some of my routines are published on my website at

Certified completion of AutoCAD courses, AutoCAD employment experience since 1992