Autographs/Autograph Values

I am updating my sports autograph collection value for my insurance.  I only have a price guide that I found on the internet from 2005 to determine the value of my collection.  I have over 60 mini helmets and over 50 baseballs autographed in my collection.  I noticed that some of the autograph that I have such as Johnny Unitas and Otto Graham are selling for twice as much online as they are were valued at in 2005.  Can you recommend a current price guide for my collection?

I am having trouble determining a value for a Arnie Weinmeister autographed mini helmet.  The helmet is a New York Giants throwback helmet with a metal facemask.  It was signed in silver and has the HOF year inscription.  I didn't see any on ebay and I could only find one online store was selling a NFL logo mini helmet sign by him for $749.00.  The store advised they were rare in the listing.  Can you determine the value of this item?  

Thank you.

I use the Sanders Autographs Price Guide (#7 published in 2009, the latest) but primarily for celebrity/non-sports autographs. The book does include a small sports autograph price guide primarily for Hall of Famers, but I just looked at the football section and there is no column for mini helmets. The baseball section does have a column for baseballs.

I can't say exactly how accurate these prices are since I don't use it very often but since the rest of the Sanders book is accurate, it can't be too far off. Personally, I price my inventory based on my cost, competitor's prices, my many years of experience and gut feel.

Regarding your insurance coverage, I hope you have a specific policy for your collection or that your insurance company doesn't exclude collectibles (most do without a rider).

Theo Chen

I can answer most questions regarding the appraising, authenticating, buying or selling of modern (20th century to present) autographs of all genres including Hollywood, music, politics, sports and more.

I have owned and operated, the Web's #1 Place for Authentic Autographs, since 1999.

I am the world's top expert on Tiger Woods autographs, having followed his signing habits since 1996. I was featured on the premiere episode of the TLC show Auctioneer$ to evaluate a questionable Tiger Woods autographed golf ball.

Beckett Baseball Card Monthly
Beckett Basketball Card Magazine
Beckett Football Card Magazine
Beckett Hockey Card Magazine
Beckett Golf Magazine
Beckett Sports Collectibles
Beckett Vintage Collectibles
Junior Baseball Magazine

B.S. Marketing, University of Maryland