Automotive/Query..

Question
Good day
With reference to trucks  can you recommend any electrical equipment and tools to inspect and carry out checkups before dispatching equipment each day. Recommend any tools, gadgets etc. that a non electrician can use.
Need to check alternator, starters, battery, and other electrical components.

Sam

Answer
Sam,
  This could get to be a complicated situation. If you are going into the Mobile Automobile Repair, ALL trucks should have the same repair capability. By that, I mean, ALL trucks should carry the same repair equipment. This way, ALL trucks would have the same ability and not have to run back and forth from the job site to the main Garage to pick up more equipment.
  As far as what I would carry in a repair vehicle, I'd carry a good set of hand tools. Sockets in 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and depending on what type of vehicles you plan on working on, maybe 3/4" drive sockets. Fractional as well as Metric. I would equip the tool boxes with ratchets and extensions to match the above drives. A good set of flat blade and Phillips screw drivers. A couple hammers of different sizes and a good set of chisels and punches. A battery powered Saws All. A portable welder comes to mind. A hand held battery powered Volt/Alternator tester, an Ohm Meter and a test light.
  You state, "Recommend any tools, gadgets etc. that a non electrician can use." Sam, repairing a vehicle is a complicated job. Think about this: If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. Let's look at this... Say you have a suspected Alternator that isn't charging the battery. Replace the Alternator, right? Easy, right? The new Alternator doesn't fix the problem. Bad Alternator, right? Replace it again and you still have the same problem. Someone with no experience is stuck. A good mechanic would take the Original suspect Alternator completely out of the system and have it checked at a local Parts Store. I don't know about where you are but here in the States, almost EVERY Parts Store has and Alternator/Starter Tester. Okay, so now we have the Original Alternator tested and it tests "good". Now you need to begin tracing wires from the Alternator to the rest of the system. You need someone with experience to know where the wires go and how to test them with the Ohm Meter. Can you see where I'm going with this?
  This isn't a job where someone can throw a bunch of Diagnostic Equipment in a truck and go out and repair vehicles. Personally I don't think it can be done without proper training. This is just my opinion. In whatever you decide to do, I wish you good luck. Thank you for your question.
Skip  

Automotive

Skip Bollinger