Automotive/Antenna fixing location/s in automobiles.

Question
Antenna Fixing Location
Antenna Fixing Locatio  
QUESTION: Dear Skip

What would be the ideal location/s for fixing Antenna in automobiles viz Cars, Luxury Buses, Trucks to receive radio signals viz FM, AM frequencies ?.

Can there be any advantage of fixing more than one antenna in different locations ?.

Are there automobiles viz Cars, Luxury Buses, Trucks etc which can receive the radio signals without fixing a antenna ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Prashant,
  I am NOT qualified to answer this question but will tell you this:
  Back in the 1950's, the Radio Antenna was on a fender, some front and some back, depending on the manufacturer of the vehicle. They were tall antennas, about 30" long.
  Then in the 1970's, some manufacturers moved the antenna into the windshield. Later on, they moved them back into the fenders. They seemed to be shorter but looked like they had a wire wrapped around the antenna and coated in plastic.
  In the last 10 years, the antennas are mounted on the roof, shorter and fatter. I'm not sure if they are making them fatter instead of taller. It seems that the higher, on the vehicle, the better. Like I said, I know NOTHING about this but it just seems logical.
  Those are my thoughts and I hope they help. Good Luck!!
Skip

QUESTION: Dear Skip

Thank you.

1. Are there automobiles viz Cars, Jeeps etc etc which can receive the radio signals without fixing a antenna and having a complex receiver design ?.

2. Can the Antenna fixing location also be implemented in heavy vehicles viz
Buses, Trucks, Tempos etc ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Prashant,
 This one is WAY out of my expertise. You might search the Internet for "antenna design".
 To answer your second question, the answer is Yes. If you ever look at a Military Tank, you can see the antenna attached to the top of them.
  Good luck,
Skip

Automotive

Skip Bollinger