Automotive/2002 mercury sable wagon

Question
the lights dim as if tremendous drain is put on motor when the heat or ac is on... heat is not blowing hot air  ac does not blow cold air maybe cool sometimes but never cold.  have replaced alternator to no avail.  when the compressor(i think)kicks on the lights dim and motor sputters it recovers but it is definatly struggling then it clicks off and engine and lights are fine.

Answer
Lisa,
  I am NOT qualified to answer this question. I'm a Parts Professional, NOT a Tech but will offer some thoughts for you to consider.
  It seems, to me, you may have multiple problems. I have no idea why the heat and A/C aren't working unless you are low on engine coolant and low of Freon. With the weather in Colorado right now, I think you will just look at engine coolant BUT you need to look into the A/C problem as it is used when you have the defroster on. The A/C runs to help eliminate humidity in the passenger compartment.
  As far as the engine sputtering when the compressor kicks on, I think that may be an Idle Air Control Motor. Among other things, this is what tells the idle to kick up a bit when the A/C is on. If the engine RPM is too low, the engine will sputter and the alternator will not turn fast enough to energize the system fully and the lights will dim.
  Please note, I'm NOT a Tech. It is said, in my Profile, I'm a Parts Specialist so IF this response doesn't please you, don't hammer my chops. I'm just trying to help you. Good luck..
Skip

Automotive

Skip Bollinger