Automotive/2000 Honda Odyssey Brake Problems

Question
My daughter was driving when she heard a pop from the front end and brake pedal went to the floor.  No warning lights came on.  After sitting a day, I took a look at it.  Master Cylinder is full of fluid, not leaking fluid anywhere on vehicle.  Started it up, drove short way, but whole time, had plenty of brake pedal.  No visible damage to lines, master cylinder, or abs module.  Checked fuses and they were fine.  Dumbfounded and just hate to say, "it's ok, til it happens again", and have her get into an accident if brakes fail again.

Answer
LEAVE THE CAR PARKED, and GET the MASTER CYLINDER CHECKED AND SERVICES BEFORE YOU DRIVE THE CAR AGAIN!

In general, brake problems of the type where the pedal goes to the floor while no external leak occurs indicate a failure of the sealing surface between a master cylinder piston cup and the walls of the master cylinder (older, and fairly typical for - in example - pre-1966 American cars which had single-cylinder - non-redundant - systems) or else in the one-way check valve that admits fluid from the M/C reservoir to the working cylinder in those systems which relied on an intrusion-type displacement rod rather than a piston cup to reduce the volume and thus increase the pressure.  

With the latter type, a leak in the reservoir/cylinder check valve will bypass fluid withOUT an external leak being evident, however, it is also possible for leakage to occur through a defective gland seal through which the displacement rod itself passes.  Depending on the mounting configuration, fluid leaking from this seal might not be immediately evident - although that point might be considered moot if no drop in reservoir fluid level is noted.  [Just as an aside, there was at least one early "power" brake system (Bendix TreadleVac) in which the vacuum-assist chamber shared the SAME gland seal; with those systems, a failing seal could lose fluid to the vacuum chamber, with NO external leakage noted, plus this could happen progressively while on a road trip in any case!  

Regardless of whether the system is a piston type or a displacement type, the outcome is that the braking pressure which should result in flow from the cylinder to the brake lines and thence to the wheel cylinders or caliper actuators is instead being relieved by being leaked back into the void behind the piston in the older type or back into the reservoir in the later and more common type.  BOTH WILL HAVE THE RESULT OF DIMINISHED AND ULTIMATELY LOSS OF BRAKING.

For this reason, I STRONGLY advise AGAINST driving the car to any repair facility.  Tow the car, or trailer it, or repair it / have it repaired on site.

Regards ... EGK

Automotive

Ernest (Ernie) Kenward