Automotive/Power Steering functions.

Question
Dear Skip

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_steering

Is it also possible to integrate the Brake, Accelerator Functions available to the Driver available on the Steering wheel to the Driver through re-engineering process ?.

If it is possible, then do you feel this could be advantageous to the current acceleration, braking mechanism available to the driver near the feet ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Prashant,
  Sure it is possible but creates many problems. I will only mention one and you will be able to see what I mean.
  A driver can't keep both hands on the steering wheel at all times. Imagine making a hard turn at an intersection. Then a pedestrian walks out in front of the car. THEN the driver has to try to find the "brake" button on the steering wheel.
  As you can see, removing the driver's hands from the steering wheel for any reason could lead to disaster. Changing the radio station or adjusting a mirror are a couple other reasons to take the hands off the steering wheel.
  Gotta go but this is my first thought about your idea. Keep thinking!!
Skip

Automotive

Skip Bollinger