Automotive/Help with a dodge mirada

Question
I have a 225 slant six dodge mirada, we have changed the spark plugs, spark plug wires,carburetor,alternator, distrubuter, we went to the old style distrubuter because the electronic system went to hell. my dad has fixed every car for all my family this is the only car ive ever seen he couldn't fix, he used to be a mechanic about 20 years ago but he never stoped working on family vehicles (were a large family and help friends out). we can get it to turn over but not start. we thought it was the wiring so we hooked up a wire from the new battery to the ignition coil. worked better but it wouldnt start. thought it might be the fuel pump, nope. im not a car person but anything you can tell me my father will understand. anything you could think of would help, please and thank you.

Answer
I had missed adding a sentence or two to the the comment about your jumpering a wire directly from the battery to the coil.  The closing sentence in that paragraph in which I addressed this was meant to be: "<"worked better>" could also simply verify that the ignition resistor was working as it is intended to work; that is, it is limiting current through the coil once the engine is running.  

During start-up, however, the battery voltage is drawn quite low (ten volts and change, generally), and so the ignition resistor is shunted by an auxiliary contact on the contactor while the starter is enabled, so as to temporarily allow more current to the coil while the starter is cranking the engine.

Okay - three sentences, one broken by a semi-colon!

Have a good day!  Cheers ... EGK  

Automotive

Ernest (Ernie) Kenward