Automotive/2008 Camry Struts; chronic problem?

Question
My niece has a 2008 Camry V6 (bought used-CarMax) that she's being told she needs front struts replaced. Car is under 75,000 miles. Driven easily, no rough roads, etc. Are the struts on a 2008 unusually poor, in needing replacement before 100,000 miles??? (She has tire wear problems and she's too distant from me where I can see the vehicle in person.) Thanks in advance!

Answer
Frank,
  This could be difficult since you can't see the tires and I can't see the tires. The car was purchased at a used car lot. You state the car "Driven easily, no rough roads. etc.". Before she purchased it or after she purchased it? The last owner could have beat the crap out of the car. I am not aware of any problems with the front struts on an '08 Camry. If you can go to this site, it explains tire wear problems and the cause.

http://www.pearltrees.com/s/pic/or/tread-wear-patterns-79931034

Bad shocks or struts will cause a wear problem called "cupping". Around the tire, it will look or feel (you can feel it with your fingers) like someone has taken a spoon and removed rubber from the tire. The photo isn't really that good but it shows OTHER problems that she may have. You may have her Google "tire wear patterns" and let her look at other sites that may show a good photo of tires that have the same wear pattern as her tires. After all, she has seen them first hand.
  One last thought, have her look at the struts. Can she see oil leaking and running down the outside of the strut? IF she does, the struts need to be replaced.  
  If you have any more questions, I'll be more than happy to offer my advice. Good Luck!!
  Thank you for your question.
Skip

Automotive

Skip Bollinger