Automotive/1989 ford e350 explorer

going 70 down the highway i pushed my od button which made the vehicle make a thud noise. i exited the vehicle to investigate and the metal square shaped box directly in front of the tranny was fire hot and smoke was coming off it a little?

Man I'm really sorry but I never got your email. I received a notice from All Experts that I had a question pending. Again, I'm sorry for the delay!!
 As stated in my Profile, I'm NOT a Tech, I'm a Parts Expert but I know someplace you can try. It is " I just went there and there are 9 Ford Only Mechanics "on duty" to help you with your problem.
 While engaging the O/D is Electric, the O/D unit is still mechanical. It sounds to me like the unit has burned up but those guys at Just Answer should be able to give you a solid answer.
 Again, sorry for the delay but I never got the question. I hope this helps and good luck.

Skip Bollinger

Heretofore, I will NOT answer any mechanical question. I am not qualified and can only offer speculations. You are better served by others that are true Techs. With that being said, please only ask about parts and locating obsolete Auto Parts. Thank you. I have the ability to locate quite a few mechanical parts for American made vehicles fron the 1900`s to present. Some are OEM and some are aftermarket. This would include engine, brake and chassis parts. Body parts and trim are VERY difficult to find but you may inquire. If you need assistance in repair, I have illustrated books for major American manufacturers that show some illustrations BEFORE 1974. If needed, I can supply repair manuals for your specific vehicle. PLEASE REMEBER I'M A PARTS SPECIALIST, NOT A TECH!! Thank you.. Skip

Past/Present clients
Too many to list but they run from Europe through America and to Australia.