Automotive/1989 ford e350 explorer

Question
going 70 down the highway i pushed my od button which made the vehicle make a thud noise. i exited the vehicle to investigate and the metal square shaped box directly in front of the tranny was fire hot and smoke was coming off it a little?

Answer
Joshua,
 Man I'm really sorry but I never got your email. I received a notice from All Experts that I had a question pending. Again, I'm sorry for the delay!!
 As stated in my Profile, I'm NOT a Tech, I'm a Parts Expert but I know someplace you can try. It is "WWW.JustAnswer.com/Ford. I just went there and there are 9 Ford Only Mechanics "on duty" to help you with your problem.
 While engaging the O/D is Electric, the O/D unit is still mechanical. It sounds to me like the unit has burned up but those guys at Just Answer should be able to give you a solid answer.
 Again, sorry for the delay but I never got the question. I hope this helps and good luck.
Skip

Automotive

Skip Bollinger