Automotive/2000 VW Jetta

Question
Before I can even look for a part I need to know what kind of Trim and Engine Type.  When I look up this old Jetta, I see 5 different trims and engine types other than diesel.  That's about the only thing I know it isn't. :)  So please let me know where to look to know what kind I have because the title doesn't tell me.
Thanks,
Art

Answer
Art,
  The first thing that comes to mind is the Vehicle Identification Number or VIN. It is located on the dash on the driver's side. It can be seen by looking through the windshield at the dash. It should be 17 digits long. Write that down and call VW and they should be able to decipher it and answer any questions you may have about the trim package. There also should be a "build sheet" in the car. It is usually put under the back seat or behind the back of the back sheet. If you can find it, it will tell you all about the options the car has.
  Now to the engine.. When VW deciphers the VIN, they should be able to identify the engine. The car is 15 years old and the engine may not be the original engine. IF it is, VW, as I said, should be able to tell you. Also,there should be a sticker, either on the underside of the hood or on the radiator core support telling the engine family. IF the engine has been changed, there may be something on the valve cover giving you an indication of the engine size and number of camshafts.
  I think that is about it for now. If you need more help, I'm here. If you still have trouble with the engine ID, maybe some good photos may help us. Like I said, I'm here to try to help. Good Luck..
Skip  

Automotive

Skip Bollinger