Automotive/Formula racing car fuel.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Skip

Can Formula racing car fuel be diesel or CNG?

Thanks
Prashant

ANSWER: Prashant,
 Of course any engine can be made to run on any fuel. The problem with Diesel or Compressed Natural Gas is it will NOT make the Horse Power that racing fuels can supply.
 I'm not familiar with CNG and the power it makes. I do know that a Diesel makes a ton of torque but the engine is very slow to gain Revolutions Per Minute (RPM).
 I think a CNG engine would have to have a very heavy fuel supply system and putting fuel in the vehicle may be difficult and time consuming.  
 In my opinion, Racing would NOT be as much fun to watch if they ran a Diesel or CNG engine. Just MY opinion. Thank you for the question and hope things are going well in your part of the World. It is getting REALLY CRAZY!!
Skip

QUESTION: Dear Skip

Thanks.

Do you feel CNG could be a risk factor as compared to Diesel where there could be zero risks?

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Prashant,
 Don't kid yourself. ANY fuel will burn and there is ALWAYS a risk of fire. While CNG will burn easier, I have seen a LOT of 18 wheelers (over the road trucks) in crashes, burnt to the ground, because their fuel tanks have burst and caught fire and they use diesel fuel.
 There is no such thing as ZERO RISKS when it comes to fuel.
 Hope this helps..
Skip

Automotive

Skip Bollinger