Automotive Plastics/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Third brakelight plastice11/19/2012Octavio Torres
  Q: Octavio, A mechanic trying to lower the rear sunshade(the result of a faulty motor) on my car ...
  A: Your mechanic may be right. If this part was subject to photo-degradation, it is easy to verify: ...
Toyota Sienna - Broken Mirror Shell11/9/2012Octavio Torres
  Q: My 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE's driver side mirror has two plastic pieces broken out of it (see attached ...
  A: of course heat welding. these housings are normally made of : ABS, ASA, or Nylon it does not matter ...
custom plastic parts repair11/8/2012Octavio Torres
  Q: I'm Customizing a 2007 Mustang and when we replaced the hood we did not wand to drill into to ...
  A: I am 2.500 miles away from NY. I Ignore who can help you with this in your area. However if you ...
cracked headlight and moisture10/29/2012Octavio Torres
  Q: Suddenly I am getting condensation in my headlamp on a BMW 5 series from 2004 (E61). I suspect it ...
  A: You are right, the housing is made of >PP< which stands for Polypropylene, a thermoplastic polymer ...
Adhesive for use on car bumpers8/29/2012Octavio Torres
  Q: I want to be able to attached plastic LED signs like the one attached to auto bumpers. I can't ...
  A: there is no such adhesive to meet those requirements as far as I know. you may find a clear ...
red plastic lens stock7/11/2012Octavio Torres
  Q: Im trying to make custom tail light lenses and I need barrel shaped stock to cut a 6 1/2" X 2 1/2" ...
  A: tail light,side turn ligth and 3th brake light lenses are made from acrylic resin pellets, ...
DUCT ASSY, REAR VENTILATOR ORNAMENT, RH6/25/2012Octavio Torres
  Q: i'm looking for a DUCT ASSY, REAR VENTILATOR ORNAMENT, RH partnumber: 55870-95J01 for my Toyota ...
  A: I sincerely regret not being of help to you in your search to find that part (I am not a part ...
Rear windshield 3rd Brake Light5/30/2012Octavio Torres
  Q: please could you advice me on which type of adhesive to use to re-attach the black plastic 3rd brake ...
  A: plastic and glass are both low energy materials and difficult to join strongly in the interface. ...
plastic adhesive4/16/2012Octavio Torres
  Q: How can I re-attach a plastic stud broken from the cover below the glovebox in my 2007 Honda, ...
  A: >PP< (Polypropylene). There is no adhesive for PP. As explained in past posts the only effective ...
repairing/replacing plastic studs4/6/2012Octavio Torres
  Q: What is the correct adhesive to re-connect a broken plastic stud on a 1984 corvette upper inside ...
  A: I never make use of any adhesives nor glues to repair or replace a broken stud. by experience I know ...
plastic housing cracked on side mirror1/18/2012Octavio Torres
  Q: My nmae is Robert. I have a 99 Chevy S10. It came with aftermarket Sport Scene mirrors on it. The ...
  A: Those housings accept neither adhesives nor glues that may be worth trying. Instead, I would try ...
plastic types12/5/2011Octavio Torres
  Q: i know there are 3 types of plastic that bumper covers are made of. what are they and how do i ...
  A: bumpers are made of: >PP< polypropylene, TPO (THERMOPLASTIC OLEFINE),TPU (THERMOPLASTIC URETHANE,PU ...
headlamp housing11/23/2011Octavio Torres
  Q: Two curiosties, what type of plastic makes up the "back half" or housing side of the assembly? When ...
  A: headlamp manufacturers use >PP< polypropylene plus a reinforcing load >PP+T20< for instance, the T20 ...
Volvo Reservoir tank10/24/2011Octavio Torres
  Q: I was told I have a seep in the plastic overflow tank of the radiator in my 2001 Volvo and that is ...
  A: one thing is an overflow tank and connected to it by a rubber hose, a radiator. These two parts are ...
adhesive5/16/2011Octavio Torres
  Q: Is there an adhesive or plastic welding that will bind two pieces of plastic together? I tried ...
  A: there may be one at least or a method to weld them either chemically or by thermal fusion. However, ...
honda headlights5/14/2011Octavio Torres
  Q: I drive a s2000 2004 I have noticed the plastic that surrounds the headlight is coming off. I took ...
  A: Fran, if the problem is with plastics, there must be an affordable a solution. I ignore the type of ...
Dashboard coverstock material identification5/7/2011Octavio Torres
  Q: Octavio I am restoring a 1973 Datsun 240z and planning to repair the damaged dashboard. I have ...
  A: That skin in made of >PVC< and the foamy substrate of Polyurethane. I ignore what tradenames are ...
Cracked screw post4/2/2011Octavio Torres
  Q: Have had difficulty replacing damaged right rear tail light of 94 Buick LeSabre Ltd. After several ...
  A: the best way to repair a broken post whether severed from the very base or in a low place near of ...
Plastic trim repair '87 BMW 325i3/10/2011Octavio Torres
  Q: I need to modify the trim around the factory stereo by glueing strips of plastic to the existing ...
  A: I think we will need to take some pictures of the trim , an explanation of the kind of modifications ...
Mazda 626 interior fabric on door panel is loose1/24/2011Octavio Torres
  Q: I have a 2002 Mazda 626, 4 door, with leather interior. Since the first year I had the car the ...
  A: Using adhesives to join polymer (plastic) surfaces sometimes is hard to deal with. Therefore, we ...
Taillights lenses1/23/2011Octavio Torres
  Q: I have a classic truck and cant find a indicater lense. I have the left side one. How do i go about ...
  A: there may be a chance to make the other side lens but I need some pictures of the one available. ...
how to paint auto acrylic1/10/2011Octavio Torres
  Q: what product would i use to put a clear coat on acrylic tail lights? also, when i dissolved the ...
  A: I have never painted acrylic lenses but as with any other paintable polymer, you must degrease the ...
plastic repair1/3/2011Octavio Torres
  Q: I have a 2004 silverado ext. cab 4x4. On the inside of the door trim panel there is a bracket ...
  A: The markings you found may indicate that the external side is made of integral skin (PVC) and the ...
1989 VW Golf tail light project12/24/2010Octavio Torres
  Q: i am cutting apart a few sets of jetta tail lights to make a custom set that resemble old rabbit ...
  A: sorry for this christmas delay. I think your light housings are not coded for polymer ...
2002 Mazda 626 turn signal cover/lens glue12/17/2010Octavio Torres
  Q: As I was brushing some ice off of the right turn signal lamp the lens/cover fell off. Can I glue it ...
  A: To join the the two parts, get some methylene chloride. wet the broken places, press them both and ...
methylene chloride11/18/2010Octavio Torres
  Q: I've not been able to find this. Can you tell me what product to look for, where?
  A: this is sold under the name:acrylic cement by tap plastics: ...
How to fix a rear view mirror with a plastic button?9/11/2010Octavio Torres
  Q: My rear view mirror fell off my windshield and I tried to fix it by buying a rear view mirror repair ...
  A: plastics are low energy substrates to accept any adhesives,in fact adhesives rarely work well in ...
Automotive Plastic Panel Repair8/1/2010Octavio Torres
  Q: Trying to determine how to repair cracked automotive interior plastic panels. There are know marking ...
  A: If your car was made after the year 2000, there must be an identification code somewhere in the ...
Lens on Taurus 3rd brake light6/2/2010Octavio Torres
  Q: The shortcan you advise me on an adhesive to attach the plastic lens housing onto a 3rd brake light ...
  A: you are right. Methylene chloride is de proper adhesive. This substance is a water-like liquid which ...
Rear view Mirror - button glued into mirror assembly5/11/2010Octavio Torres
  Q: The mirror fell off of the window. The metal "button" that needs to be treated and re-glued to the ...
  A: Most rear view mirrors attached to windshields do not use any glues in the button assy. However, ...
repairing interior plastic4/2/2010Octavio Torres
  Q: As we were loading something into our Equinox, it scraped along the inside of the back plastic by ...
  A: Polypropylene interior trim and panels, like those in the Equinox can only be painted for ...
Affordable reproduction of tail light lenses2/12/2010Octavio Torres
  Q: Octavio, In an answer dated 1/28/2009 you answered a query on reproducing tail light lenses. In ...
  A: Unfortunately, I need the help of a busy neighbor and colleague who owns a tail light repair shop to ...
auto body glue1/31/2010Octavio Torres
  Q: While travelling about 40 mph in my 2003 Jeep Liberty, I was side-swiped (hit-and-run) by a driver ...
  A: There is no glue nor any adhesive to replace your metal or plastic fasteners. my suggestion for you ...
CRV Mirror Base Repair1/19/2010Octavio Torres
  Q: Torres The base plate which supports the mirror assembly (see picture:horizontal part with 4 large ...
  A: to exactly determine what plastic the base is made of ,you have to take the base off the door. to ...
Broken LH mirror housing/91 Honda prelude1/13/2010Octavio Torres
  Q: Someone knocked my driver side mirror off..seems to be broken at the base..otherwise the assembly ...
  A: almost always we get dissapointed when trying to fix plastics with adhesives. This is due to the ...
cracked Sprinter rear A/C housing1/4/2010Octavio Torres
  Q: The rear A/C housing on my Dodge/MB Sprinter passenger van is made of a rigid, gray unpainted and ...
  A: I have repaired many AC housings and found ALL were made of Polypropylene. I think your's must be ...
98 honda prelude rear-view mirror housing1/3/2010Octavio Torres
  Q: okay i bumped my mirror off the mount and im trying to figure out if i can take the mirror housing ...
  A: sorry for a late answer (health has not been o.k. these days. but now in the up &up) I understand ...
Broken tail light lens..12/19/2009Octavio Torres
  Q: I was wondering if I could glue the tail light lens on my 03 Alero. Someone bumped my car and broke ...
  A: tail light lenses are made of >PMMA< , which stands for polymethyl methacrylate, a plastic that can ...
ABS plastic sheet11/28/2009Octavio Torres
  Q: I have a bowler tomcat off road race car that I am renovating. the pick up sides are flat aluminium ...
  A: you are right. ABS is not the best polymer for this application. Despite having butadiene (a rubbery ...
plastic headlight lense11/24/2009Octavio Torres
  Q: Why do the lenses get milky/cloudy? Can it be cleaned? Seems to be common in late 90's to early ...
  A: lenses get dull for various reasons including: photodecomposition, micro-chipping because of gravel, ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3   |  Next       All

Automotive Plastics

Octavio Torres

Top Expert on this page