Aviation/Flying/Flight Distance Formulae

Question

I recently found, to my surprise, that the fewer the pasengers on a flight, the further the range of the aircraft would be. I had always thought that the sheer tonnage and fuel of the aircraft would way override the slight weight of the passengers and their baggage.Do you know of any formulae, so that I could calculate how much farther a specific jet's range would be if the passengers were halved in number etc.?

Thanks, Geoff.

Answer
Geoff,
That works very nice in theory, but in real world of flying we do not play with that numbers. In the best of my knowledge there is no formula to calculate that extended range, and none of airplane manufacturers do provide that numbers, simply because of liability issues. Pilots and companies do not include those numbers as we do not want to get into habit to think "we have more fuel to fly" Nor the Federal Aviation do recognize those numbers either.
Again in physics and chemistry theory you might get those kind of question, but that include pure calculations of physics and chemistry formulas in order to get an theoretical number for purpose of exercise....

<<<BUT AGAIN IN REAL WORLD OF FLYING WE DO NOT RECOGNIZE THOSE NUMBERS AS AN PRACTICAL MEASURE FOR RANGE CALCULATIONS>>> UNLESS YOU HAVE AN EMERGENCY WHERE EVERY NUMBER AND CALCULATION COULD HAVE SENSE>>>

Good Luck
Ismar  

Aviation/Flying

Ismar Avdic, Eng.