Aviation/Flying/747 engine failure in Hawaii

jwzumwalt wrote at 2014-09-06 23:32:14
It is not uncommon for Boeing aircraft to be mounted with external attach points to carry an extra engine. I have seen it on other Boeing aircraft I used to work on (Anchorage International). And so far as I know they are approved to carry passengers when doing so. However, there are special laws that pertain to over water flight - for example ETOPS. I suspect that it was the long distance over water and the necessary fuel reserve for passengers that made it unreasonable to do from Hawaii. See the link below for a 747 example...

http://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/8339/off-wing-jet-engine-transportat

Aviation/Flying

Kevin Parker