Aviation/Flying/Electronic Panel Doors in Commercial Airplanes.

Dear Kevin

Is there a single front door near cockpit in commercial planes for passengers and crew members for entry - boarding and exit out of the airplane ?.

If not do you feel there can be also a Rear door constructed near the tail wing in commercial planes ?. Is it feasible to construct a rear door ?.

The Rear door will be only for passengers who are boarding and exit out
of the airplanes while the Front door will be only for the airplane crew members including the pilot, copilot ?.

Do you feel a electronic panel can be constructed on the airplane Front door only for the aircraft crew members who are given identity electronic cards ?. The Front door will be opened only from inside and outside the plane when the electronic card is swapped by the aircraft crew member for entry and exit out of the airplane.

Do you feel this also be extended for the cockpit electronic panel door   where the pilot, copilot has to swap the electronic card to enter and exit the cockpit ?.

Do you feel this may enhance security on the commercial airplane ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Prashant, by your questions it seems that you have not been on a commercial aircraft.  Not all aircraft have a door near the cockpit for passenger entry.  Some like B744 and MD-11 have the door further aft.  Some commercial aircraft like the B727 and MD 80 had the rear door in the empennage as your suggest.  It is not required on more modern aircraft.  

An electronic card key mechanism would be impractical due to cost and quality requirements.  Using computers is not always the answer.  sometimes the simplest solution is better.  

The security of cockpit in flight is more than adequate for todays needs.

Thanks for your interest....  

Kevin Parker

I will do my best to answer any question related to my experience. If I don't know, I promise to help you find the answer. Every question deserves an answer.

I have 30 years experience in Commercial Type Rating training, program development, human factors, instructor training, flight simulation and flying large aircraft in general. Operated L188, DC8, B747, B757, A320, A330 and A340 aircraft. Involved in cockpit design, flight testing and type certification.

Aviation college, military flight instructor, ATPL, check airman, maintenance test pilot, Simulator Test and Evaluation Pilot, Production Chief Pilot