Aviation/Flying/Electronic Panel Doors in Commercial Airplanes.

Question
Dear Marc

Is there a single front door near cockpit in commercial planes for passengers and crew members for entry - boarding and exit out of the airplane ?.

If not do you feel there can be also a Rear door constructed near the tail wing in commercial planes ?. Is it feasible to construct a rear door ?.

The Rear door will be only for passengers who are boarding and exit out
of the airplanes while the Front door will be only for the airplane crew members including the pilot, copilot ?.

Do you feel a electronic panel can be constructed on the airplane Front door only for the aircraft crew members who are given identity electronic cards ?. The Front door will be opened only from inside and outside the plane when the electronic card is swapped by the aircraft crew member for entry and exit out of the airplane.

Do you feel this also be extended for the cockpit electronic panel door   where the pilot, copilot has to swap the electronic card to enter and exit the cockpit ?.

Do you feel this may enhance security on the commercial airplane ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
For this question, I'm not the person to give the answer.  I can, however give you a great resource to look.

This is a link to a book called "Cockpit Confidential."  I thought I knew just about everything about commercial air travel there is to know.  I was mistaken.  The author - who is a pilot for a major US airline - actually answers this question in far greater detail than I could possibly go into.

Pretty much, it has to do with weight, cutting more holes in planes, pilots needing to get into the passenger compartment, etc.

El Al Airlines in Israel has a double lock system on their flight deck doors.  There is like a vestibule.  You need a code to enter that.  You cannot enter the code for the cockpit door until the other door is fully closed.  So why can El Al do this and not American carriers?  El Al has 41 aircraft in their entire fleet, whereas Delta for example, has nearly 800 planes.

http://www.amazon.com/Cockpit-Confidential-Everything-Questions-Reflections-eboo

Hope this helps.

Marc

Aviation/Flying

Marc Eichler