Aviation/Flying/Retractable mechanism for Landing gear in airplanes.

Question
Dear Colin

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_gear

Are the Landing gears always retractable in all airplanes ?.

i.e.

Once the airplanes takes off, the front and rear wheels are always
folded ?.
Once the airplanes wants to Land, the front and rear wheels are unfolded ?.

What are the Pros and Cons with and without having these retractable mechanism for Landing gears in airplanes ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hi Prashant,

Not all airplanes have retractable landings gears. For instance, many small, privately-owned general aviation airplanes do not have them. Commercial airliners all have retractable landing gears, however.

The pros for having retractable gears are:
-the airplane becomes more aerodynamic when gear is retraced (i.e. less drag), thus will travel faster than a an airplane with a fixed gear (non-retractable).

The cons to having retractable gears:
-more cost
-more maintenance
-potential for the system to fail prior to landing

Thanks for the question!

Cheers

Aviation/Flying

Colin Woehrle