Aviation/Flying/Retractable mechanism for Landing gear in airplanes.

Dear Colin

Are the Landing gears always retractable in all airplanes ?.

Once the airplanes takes off, the front and rear wheels are always
folded ?.
Once the airplanes wants to Land, the front and rear wheels are unfolded ?.

What are the Pros and Cons with and without having these retractable mechanism for Landing gears in airplanes ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Hi Prashant,

Not all airplanes have retractable landings gears. For instance, many small, privately-owned general aviation airplanes do not have them. Commercial airliners all have retractable landing gears, however.

The pros for having retractable gears are:
-the airplane becomes more aerodynamic when gear is retraced (i.e. less drag), thus will travel faster than a an airplane with a fixed gear (non-retractable).

The cons to having retractable gears:
-more cost
-more maintenance
-potential for the system to fail prior to landing

Thanks for the question!

Colin Woehrle

I provide guidance/mentoring to those interested in learning what it takes and exactly how to become a pilot, especially as a career choice. I also answer sincere aviation questions for aviation students as well as enthusiasts. If I can`t answer your question, I`ll try my best to point you in the right direction. I look forward to helping you! *(I am unable to answer questions regarding how much it costs to fly from one place to another. I'm just a pilot...sheesh!)

Pilot for a leading legacy airline. Ratings and certificates include: Airline Transport Pilot, Flight Instructor (CFI, CFII), Commercial Pilot, Instrument, Single Engine Land/Multi-engine Land Airplane

Bachelor of Science in Aeronautics