Aviation/Flying/Retractable mechanism for Landing gear in airplanes.

Are the Landing gears always retractable in all airplanes ?.

Once the airplanes takes off, the front and rear wheels are always
folded ?.
Once the airplanes wants to Land, the front and rear wheels are unfolded ?.

What are the Pros and Cons with and without having these retractable mechanism for Landing gears in airplanes ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: No, not all landing gear are always retractable.  Look at the Cessna 152, 172, and 182, among others.  It has to do with airflow around the plane, which can impact speed and impact maintenance and an airline's bottom dollar.

All your commercial airlines have retractable landing gear.  If the gear does not retract properly, this can cause problems, as it did for jetBlue 292 (  It is not safe for an aircraft to fly at cruising altitude or at cruise speed with the gear not fully retracted.

Thanks for using AllExperts!

Thank you.

Once the commercial airplane takes off by what time the front and rear wheels are folded ?. i.e. after 1/2 min, 1 min, 5 min, 10 min etc ....

Once the commercial airplane has to land before what time the front and rear wheels are unfolded ?. i.e. within 1/2 min, 1 min, 5 min, 10 min, 30 min etc ....

Are both these timings critical i.e. After plane take of and Before Landing and are these timings fixed globally as part of airplane operations ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

For takeoff, it's pretty much as soon as the aircraft assumes a safe rate of climb.  For landing, that is honestly something I am not sure of.  I can tell you that in Microsoft Flight Simulator, I typically lower my gear once I turn for final and have the runway in sight.  This allows me time to ensure that all wheels are down and locked, and if not, to execute a go-around (although this is something I would have to program to happen).

In aviation, almost nothing is fixed globally, except for that if one pilot needs to leave the cockpit on an oceanic flight, the other must wear an oxygen mask...and there may be a few other things that I'm not thinking of right now.

Please note that I am not a pilot in real life.  While I do know quite a bit, most of what I know comes from reading, talking to pilots, and Flight Simulator, which I use VERY realistically.

Marc Eichler

I can answer many types of questions on military and civil aviation, and aviation/aerospace history.

I am a Captain in Civil Air Patrol, serve as flight crew on various Civil Air Patrol missions.

Civil Air Patrol

Bachelor of Arts Degree in Communications from Fairleigh Dickinson University

General Billy Mitchell Award - #48332