Dear Mr.Parker.
Why have some aeroplane engines 3 propellers, some have 4, some have 5 ? Why not 6 or 8 or 24 ? Why not even almost complete, like the veins in an jet engine ? How do the designers decide which is best for a particular aeroplane ?
Thank you, and the expert team for previous answers.

Remember props are wings too.  The speed of the aircraft, the speed of the blade rotation and the amount of thrust required all are part of the formula to determine what prop configuration to use.  You want the prop blade to always run in smooth air for greater efficiency so sometimes more is not better.  

Kevin Parker

I will do my best to answer any question related to my experience. If I don't know, I promise to help you find the answer. Every question deserves an answer.

I have 30 years experience in Commercial Type Rating training, program development, human factors, instructor training, flight simulation and flying large aircraft in general. Operated L188, DC8, B747, B757, A320, A330 and A340 aircraft. Involved in cockpit design, flight testing and type certification.

Aviation college, military flight instructor, ATPL, check airman, maintenance test pilot, Simulator Test and Evaluation Pilot, Production Chief Pilot