Spiritual Awakening, Growth, and Enlightenment/a starting point for spiritual advancement

Hi Mr. Waxman,
I was wondering if you could give me a starting point for my journey. I do not want to over read about enlightenment, I do that to a lot of subjects, because then it becomes a point I understand everything but at the same time I know nothing. I am 22 years old and I have a mild case of Cerebral Palsy, making it hard to relax for any kind of meditation although I do try.
I was reading a few questions asked by others on this same subject and one answer said that one should be farmiliar with the scriptures of the bible, is this true. Although at this time I do not practice a religion I am mostly interested in earth centered religions. I do not practice them because I feel that I cannot do the rituals and spells correctly (casting the circle, calling in the elements etc) but I have been in two rituals one of which, samhain, I really felt the presence of the Horned God (which is the first time in my life I have felt anything of the sort, I suppose it would be felt anything spiritually). I suppose what I am asking is if you could  first of give me a starting point towards enlightenment and my spirituality. Thanks!

Hi Steph,

Thank you for your question. Per your request, I'm going to offer advice on "a starting point" which may help your spiritual advancement.

If you feel you are not making spiritual progress, the first thing to do is to take stock of yourself and your habits, and find out what is standing in your way. Most people fail in attaining their spiritual goals because of inertia or lack of sustained effort. To grow spiritually, you must be able to do those things that are in your highest interest.

Do you ask yourself at the end of each day whether you have progressed more than you did the day before? Self-analysis is the greatest method of progress. Keep a mental diary, and each day check your progress in developing the following qualities and attitudes, and refraining from those which retard your spiritual progress. This simple self-discipline will help you develop spiritually.

Here are some basic spiritual principles which will lay the foundation for future practice and study.

1. Self-Control
You must learn to control your speech and behavior, especially when you are mistreated. Donít allow yourself to become a doormat, letting others trample on you, but never lose your unruffled calmness or attitude of forgiveness, especially when you are the target of criticism. Few people can control their outer behavior, and even fewer can control their inner balance during a bombardment of unkindness from others.

2. Self-Expansion: kindness and forgiveness
The happiness people want in life is not found in egoic self-absorption, but by expanding the sense of self to embrace others. Kindness is the law of the spiritual world. Kindness springs from the inner self, and bestows the readiness to look upon everyone as a friend. At its essence, kindness consists of the simple acceptance of others in recognition that they are all, like you, striving for self-improvement. Become the friend of everyone, ever ready to help. Always try to include in your happiness the happiness of other needy ones.

Freely forgive and forget those who offend you. Forgiveness means, in the last analysis, giving a person a chance to reform. If apologies on your part will bring out your self-styled enemyís good qualities, by all means apologize. It takes spiritual development to be able to apologize graciously and sincerely. Do not, however, encourage a wrong-doer by being too humble and apologetic.

3. Desire and anger: the two greatest barriers
Desire and anger are the two greatest barriers to wisdom. The frustration of desire produces anger. The very fact that desires can lead to anger should be a sufficient indication that the desires themselves are manifestations of bondage, not of freedom.

More than any other negative quality, anger thwarts your efforts to progress spiritually. Anger extinguishes the flame of peace, in the light of which alone you can behold the Divine. Inevitably, anger clouds your understanding, leading to false, self-justifying perceptions of reality.

If you have a tendency to become angry at slight provocation, find the affirmation which has the most meaning for you and repeat it to yourself until your subconscious mind is clear of any tendency to anger and harsh speech. Affirm divine calmness and peace, and send out only thoughts of love and good-will.

4. Meditation: your most important engagement
Meditation is the most effective way to spiritualize your consciousness. Never allow anything to discourage you from seeking Oneness through the daily discipline of meditation ó it is your most important engagement. Meditation centralizes all the energy in the brain, and destroys all the seeds of past bad habits. Through the practice of regular, right meditation, you can conquer all tendencies that retard your spiritual progress.

Always meditate with devotion. Never be satisfied until you see unmistakable signs of a divine response, and at the same time never allow yourself to become discouraged. The joy born of meditation is an indication that The Source has replied to your devotion, prayers, and mental whispers.

5. Forsake all attachments.
The way to spiritual progress lies in always making the effort to forsake sense attachments. Sense-attachment is unbecoming to the soul, inasmuch as it tries to satisfy your need for everlasting soul happiness with evanescent sense-pleasures. You are more than a civilized animal. Your rational faculties have a deeper purpose than keeping the body well fed and well clothed. The more you cater to the flesh, the more subject you become to other sense temptations.

We limit our potential for self-expansion when we act with the purpose of being the main beneficiaries of our actions. You obviously need to maintain the body and have the basic necessities of life, but the higher needs of the soul must also be fulfilled.

Try to free yourself from all attachments. Non-attachment  enables you to live perpetually in a state of inner freedom and happiness. Attachments, on the other hand, keep you forever fearful; you live in a state of regret for the past or of anxiety for the future. Never allow your possessions to possess you, or the petty details of daily life to invade your heart with hordes of worry.

6. Devotion and mental whispers
Devotion is paramount. Without love you would lack the necessary urgency of desire to reach the divine goal. Love is the very essence of The Great Sacred Mystery. When consciously directed, it finds its way unerringly to its mark, and is the one thing It cannot resist. You may try many ways to find The One Source of All, but It will elude you until you enter into, and pour forth, great love from your heart. By constant practice everything eventually vanishes but the One Divine Source.

7. Live in the consciousness of goodness.
Always try to see the good in people. By focusing on the good in others, you not only help them see the good in themselves, you also begin to establish goodness in yourself. When you live in the consciousness of goodness, you accept all things without judgment, and look with kindness and sympathy on everyone, no matter how foolish.

Whenever you see wrong in others, and are distressed by it, remember, itís also wrong in you. When you are right inwardly, all things are right, for you see everything as part of ALL That IS.

Rid your heart of all resentment and never behave in a mean way. Remember always that positive attitudes uplift the mind, while negative attitudes take the mind slowly downhill into a private gloom. For just as positive, happy attitudes make one receptive to bliss, negative attitudes estrange one from it. In a negative state of mind, one loses sight of the the soulís all-powerful ability to transcend every difficulty.

Spiritual progress isnít only a matter of practicing various techniques. Every time you think good thoughts, the positive energy within you begins to move upward. Every time you hold harsh thoughts, the energy automatically moves downward.

8. Inner calmness
The most important condition for lasting happiness is the ability to remain inwardly calm, no matter what happens. One who is inwardly calm is able to see things as they are, and to accept with an unruffled mind whatever comes. I often say, ďWhat comes of itself, let it come.Ē This is just as true for the bad things in life as for the good. Only inner calmness will give you a sense of correct proportion and inspire you to behave with unfailing good sense.

A calm person reflects restfulness in his eyes, keen intelligence in his face, and proper receptivity in his mind. She is a person of decisive and prompt action. He is not moved by impulses and desires. A restless person, on the other hand, is like a puppet that dances at the instigation of emotional desires and temptations. Remain ever calmly centered in the Self within, and always act from that center of calmness.

9. Live a balanced life.
Everyone seeking to progress spiritually should try to live a balanced life. It is important to perform carefully all duties connected with earning a living, staying healthy, and having a harmonious life. Try not to let any one duty undermine another. Spiritual development should enable you to harmonize all such duties so that they all contribute to your lasting peace and happiness.

Remember also that you always need the inspiration of better company to keep yourself constantly improving. Your outward good company is of paramount importance, as it influences your will and reason which, by repetitions of thought and action, form good habits. All of us are part of the Universal Consciousness; we belong to It, and It, to us. Given sufficient time, and renewed courage on your part, you cannot fail to make steady, ongoing spiritual progress. [Yogananda]

10. I highly recommend the following books: "The Razor's Edge [also a 1946 film]" [S. Maugham], "The Power of Your SuperMind" [V. Howard], "Emergence of Essence" [B.M. Hubbard], "The Direct Path [A. Harvey], and The Mystic Heart [W. Teasedale]. These books will surely open your mind to new spiritual possibilities. After you've read this collection, you'll know exactly which spiritual path appeals most to you.

I hope this information is helpful, and I wish you all the best!  

Spiritual Awakening, Growth, and Enlightenment

Bob Waxman, Ph.D.

Please ask any question relating to spiritual awakening, personal growth, or the pursuit of enlightenment. If you are having difficulty with a religious or spiritual concept - please feel free to explain your dilemma and ask a question relating to your situation. I have written three books on various on "The Timeless Wisdom of the Ages" and have been teaching classes related to universal spiritual principles for over 15 years. My expertise is in writing, teaching, and explaining the underlying meanings that are found in ancient and modern spiritual/religious traditions.

Classes, seminars, and workshops over the past 15 years include explorations of: spiritually transformative experiences (STEs), near-death experiences (NDEs), Vedanta & Bhagavad Gita, Kabbalah & Zohar (according to scholars), The Best of Plato, The Taoist Approach to Living, The Dhammapada & Mahayana Buddhism, Cognitive Dissonance, Lost Books of the Bible, Comparative Views on Sufism & Gnosticism, Cutting-Edge Theories in Modern Physics & Metaphysical Frameworks in Ancient Mysticism. Published Books include: "2012: The Meaning and The Message" - Paragon House Publishers,"Kabbalah Simply Stated" - Paragon House Publishers, "The Power of AWE" - Sinclair Publishing, Inc., Not yet released: "By the Waters of Forgetfulness - The Mystical Teachings of Plato."

Founding Member and frequent guest speaker at The Open Center (Sarasota, FL) Longboat Key Education Center IANDS (near-death experience organization) Unity Life Enrichment Center American Seminar Leaders Association

Articles: "Did Freud Accept or Reject Mysticism?" http://ezinearticles.com/?Did-Freud-Accept-Or-Reject-Mysticism?&id=1291492 ## "The Astral Body and After Death Experience" http://www.paratracker.org/files/article-20660.pdf ## "Beyond Madonna" http://www.articlecity.com/articles/religion/article_303.shtml ## "Beyond The DaVinci Code" http://www.articlecity.com/articles/religion/article_306.shtml ## "Evolutionary Theism" http://www.robertwaxman.com/id86.html ## "Five Philosophers' Theories on Free Will" http://www.robertwaxman.com/id93.html ## "The Transpersonal Experience" http://www.robertwaxman.com/id77.html ## "John Locke & Deism During The Age of Enlightenment" http://www.robertwaxman.com/id77.html ## "The Nature of the Tzaddik" http://robertwaxman.org/id50.html ## Interview in Spirit Guide Magazine (2009): http://robertwaxman.org/id51.html ## A Theistic View on the Unitary Experience in Shamanism http://www.robertwaxman.com/id92.html

Ph.D. in Human Sciences from Saybrook University; Master's Degree with a concentration in Comparative Religion from Skidmore College; (2) B.A.'a from The American University. Additional philosophy courses taken at Columbia University and New York University.

many awards received...

Unity of Sarasota JCC of Sarasota, Tampa, Davie, West Palm Beach & Bonyton Beach Center for Positive Living Theosophical Society United Lodge of Theosophists (Sarasota, FL) The Open Center Longboat Key Education Center Hundreds of students over the last 12 years