Spiritual Awakening, Growth, and Enlightenment/spiritual

Question
hi,what is the difference between spirituality and religion,thanks

Answer
Hi Kelly,
Your question is very simple and that means it's a good one. It's also something that puzzles a lot of people, yet most won't ask because the global economy considers it a waste of time, producing nothing that can be spent. By asking that question you are stating that you are searching for "Something," which is commendable, even if you arrive back at your present understanding. Searching is a human condition, and we don't have to find something new every time. We can also benefit from cementing our existing beliefs, even if we choose to consider them differently after more searching.

Ok lets get to it and I'll try to be as clear with the answer as you were with the question.

Religion can never be described as spiritual. Only people can be spiritual. Religion is not always belief in God or Gods because some, like Buddhism are philosophical. Most of them tell us something about an afterlife or re-incarnation. There's usually a mystical central element with dogma built around that central belief. There can be praying, chanting, meditation, sacrifice and/or charity and good works. You know all that, but I need to start at the beginning. Religion is not spiritual per se. There is no spiritual religion - there is only dogma and an central theme.

I have met Christians and Muslims who were/are very spiritual but I've also met more who weren't. I've met people who don't belong to any established religion who are also very spiritual.

In religion, spirituality can develop around the central belief, whether that belief is true or not. If a person identifies strongly with a belief and moves beyond its simpler and more obvious meaning, while also acknowledging that his/her life can improve because of their adherence, they can take it to another level where their undisturbed focus may reveal the wider nature of existence. The wider nature of existence is a matter of fact (See Below) but the actual nature may be open to individual interpretation, so don't be afraid to think. That is one of the reasons you exist. These are the kind of things we don't normally have time to do, but everyone can get something out of expanding their horizons, even if they only see more rain coming.

Outside religion, or rather, across all beliefs, there is a very human question. Why am I here? It is as spiritual as it is philosophical, but philosophers look for answers in the human psyche. Spiritual people believe or acknowledge a bigger reason. That bigger reason will transcend physical, philosophical, and psychological reasons, because they find precise scientific answers limited in scope.

For example - more than 95% of everything in the physical (Baryonic) universe, is made of of exotic non physical (Non-Atomic) energy or matter. Astrophysicists are calling it dark energy and/or dark matter but that's only because they have no idea what it is, though they are beginning to see what it does in holding the universe in shape. I don't think dark matter or energy has a spiritual element. I also don't believe it refers to dark Satanic forces, but simply point out that our latest scientific disciplines can only explain a fraction of the 5% of total matter that exists and can't even address the major constituents of "Stuff." That's not a lot. Is it? Basically we search for our own answers because some of the boxes created by science are just too small to contain our visions.

Spiritual can sometimes refer to communicating with the spirits of the dead, but I don't take that very seriously, though to some people, that's all spiritualism is.

Back to religion to close. As science can only explain a very small fraction of what everything is about, it would be foolish to assume religions are the sole authority on spirituality. If there was only one correct religion, which is logical, then all the rest have faults. In my personal view all of them have faults, but that doesn't mean they are all bad. They help us focus on helping our neighbors and developing ourselves and as I said, if we firmly believe or adhere to a central theme that also helps us see something of the total reality that we know exists, then great. If they don't help us in any way then maybe you need another catalyst for your mind.

Did you ever hear music that raises the hairs on the back of your neck, or on your arms?
Did you ever see something that was truly out of this world?
Do you believe that belief itself can be a force of creation?
Were you ever stirred into an act of random kindness by seeing another random act of kindness?
Do you believe there is more to this world than scraping by so you can pay taxes to government?
Do you ever wonder what you are truly worth, and we're not talking about life insurance?
Do you believe you can exercise more control over your own destiny?
If you were the master/mistress of your own destiny - would you be inclined to improve things for others too?

None of those question will come up at you next job interview, because they have no money value, yet a thinking person would say YES to all of them, which proves that all of us have a spiritual aspect to our nature, but not all of us chooses to exercise it. It is true that without exercising something, it will eventually die. Keep up the exercise.  

Spiritual Awakening, Growth, and Enlightenment

Denis McClean