Spiritual Awakening, Growth, and Enlightenment/Spirituality question

I've read that if we're fully present, we will realize that there is no past and no future, only the "now".  And in that "now" we will see that all our needs are met and we are lacking nothing.  I can understand this if "life" is going well, But I wonder how, if I suddenly find myself in a hostile environment, I'm supposed to do that?  For example, if I were captured and held hostage and my death was certain, how would I see that all my needs are being met and I lack nothing? Wouldn't it be more prudent to realize that all my needs are suddenly not being met and that I have to escape in order to live? So would that not mean that in order to be "present", it would depend on what my environment is at the time? Thank you for helping me to understand this.

Jim Dreaver
Jim Dreaver  

You are Beautiful as You Are
You are Beautiful as Y  
Dear Jim,

The short answer is that you are right - being present is where it's at.

Right here, right now is all there is.

So if you are captured by hostile forces, as you remain very present, by all
means, seek ways to escape - after all, you would obviously prefer to live.

At the same time, if you are about to be beheaded and there is no escape, then
you accept your death - but that presupposes you have already awakened to freedom.

If you are not awake and free, then - of course - you will resist dying, and
be afraid for what happens after.

So, are you awake and free? Because of your question, I am guessing not.

Here's the good new - email me at jdreaver.com for a free PDF of my new book,
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL AS YOU ARE: A Self-Guided Course in Awakening

Many blessings,

Spiritual Awakening, Growth, and Enlightenment

Jim Dreaver

I can answer any existential question - i.e. "Who am I?" "What am I here to do?" and "What is the meaning of life?"

I was on a spiritual journey for twenty years before awakening to my true nature. Am a regular teacher at Esalen Institute (www.esalen.org). Website www.jimdreaver.com

See www.endyourstory.com, the website of my most recent book, END YOUR STORY, BEGIN YOUR LIFE.

Four years postgraduate/doctoral degree