Ayurveda/Food combining in Ayurveda

QUESTION: Dear Dr. Dehal,

May I ask you a question about food combining in Ayurveda that has been troubling me for a long time?

I am familiar with most of the lists of bad food combinations found in the major books on Ayurveda published in English and on the internet. One such list includes the following combinations, which are not to be found on any of the other lists:

Dates with starches
Bananas with starches
Eggs with starches
Yogurt with starches

Because this would have important practical implications, I would like to know if you are familiar with this information? Are these indeed bad food combinations? And what would be understood as "starches" here - cereals, grains, potatoes, sweet potatoes... or also apparently starchy vegetables like parsnips, beets, carrots...?

(If yogurt is indeed incompatible with starches, a lassi after meals would be possible only in very few situations, since yogurt is incompatible with protein foods as well!)

Thank you very much in advance for your attention and help.

With many kind greetings from France,

Aaron Epstein

ANSWER: Dear Aaron,

Greetings !

I really appreciate your interest in Ayurveda for maintaing your good health.
Your first two combinations
Dates with starches
Bananas with starches are not bad but even it are also not so good.These are very good with milk only.In Indian culture dates are boiled in milk and to be taken at bed time.It is very good for general/sexual weakness,dry cough and tiredness.It gives best results in milk but not with any starches.
Same banana is also good with milk.
Here Ayurveda thinks about such combination in terms of Rasa.But these are sweet taste (madhur rasa)products so salty or sour things are not compatible with these.

The next two combination can be taken with starches.Here yogurt is best with your mentioned starches.In Indian terms this yogurt is best combination with such cereals etc to make it more digestible. Lassi makes all sort of proteins more digestible and palatable.Even i prescribe this to my patients along with other medication for faster recovery.

Hope i am able to clarify your queries.Feel free to write me any time.

QUESTION: Thank you very much, Dr. Dehal, I appreciate your detailed answer. I am wondering what are considered starches in this connection: cereals and grains most likely, but what about certain starchy vegetables like sweet potato, parsnip, beet, carrot, and others?
I often like to use several dates to sweeten dishes with carrot, beet and/or parsnip.
Thank you again for your help, and with warmest greetings to you,

Dear Aaron,

I have already told you that it is not a bad combination so you can add dates to arrot, beet and/or parsnip but the condition is there should not be extra salt or sour taste to be added in this dish.All these are sweet in taste ( madhur rasa) so there is no bad effect if mixed together and even their vipak(end product after digestion)is also same.

Dr.Gary Dehal

Any question related to Ayurveda.

Now i have a total experience of around 19 years including 7 years of clinical experience.

Divya Sanjeevani Ayurveda Hospital Ayurveda Himachal

Amar Ujala,Punjab Kesari,Arogya patrika,chikitsa pallav...

I am studying the different system of medicines since 1989.First i did 4 years BEMS and then MD(AM),Ayurveda Rattan,Vaidya Visharad,certificate in Food & Nutrition,BAMS(bachelor of Ayurveda) and now doing DNYS(diplome in yoga and naturopathy).

Distinguised Pattron-All India Ayurveda Congress,New Delhi. Vice-President-Himachal Pradesh State Ayurveda Doctors Union. Fellow Academy of General Education,Manipal. Special Life Member-AYUSH medical Association. Special member-Bharat Swabhiman Trust,Patanjali Yogpeeth Trust,Haridwar.

Civil servant,bureaucrat,senior police officer,professor,businessman.