Ayurveda/Basti and intestinal flora

Dear Dr. Dehal,

As I understand, the practice of basti, when done correctly, is not supposed to disturb healthy intestinal flora.
However, from what I have read, sesame oil is an antibacterial.
Will oil bastis with sesame truly not have a negative impact on the healthy intestinal flora?

If I may be permitted to ask you one more question: is it all right to mix ghee (an animal-derived fat) with a vegetable oil such as sesame or olive oil in the same dish, at the same meal? (Specifically, for someone - namely myself - with low agni at the moment. And also generally speaking).

Thank you very much for your attention and help, and many warm greetings from France!

Dear Aaron,

Greetings !

Firstly i am very sorry for the delay in answering as yesterday i was very busy with my patients.

Basti do harm the intestinal flora but in tern it makes the flora very healthy.If you see the preparation of basti material then you will understand that it is a very peculiar process,in which we have have to add the all the ingredients in a fix sequence and to be mixed in same circular direction only.Then it becomes very safe and easily assimilation to body.
Generally we mix honey and ghee or oil.We do not add both the ghee and oil.Either one is added.In a patient having low digestive fire,before planning to give basti we have to increase the digestive fire first and in such cases we add prefer ghee in place of oil.
Feel free to write me any time or any further doubt or explanation.

Dr.Gary Dehal

Any question related to Ayurveda.

Now i have a total experience of around 19 years including 7 years of clinical experience.

Divya Sanjeevani Ayurveda Hospital Ayurveda Himachal

Amar Ujala,Punjab Kesari,Arogya patrika,chikitsa pallav...

I am studying the different system of medicines since 1989.First i did 4 years BEMS and then MD(AM),Ayurveda Rattan,Vaidya Visharad,certificate in Food & Nutrition,BAMS(bachelor of Ayurveda) and now doing DNYS(diplome in yoga and naturopathy).

Distinguised Pattron-All India Ayurveda Congress,New Delhi. Vice-President-Himachal Pradesh State Ayurveda Doctors Union. Fellow Academy of General Education,Manipal. Special Life Member-AYUSH medical Association. Special member-Bharat Swabhiman Trust,Patanjali Yogpeeth Trust,Haridwar.

Civil servant,bureaucrat,senior police officer,professor,businessman.