Ayurveda/Pumpkins and cashews

Dear Dr. Dehal,

I would like to ask a question about two food items whose indications/contraindications in the context of Ayurveda puzzle me.

The first is pumpkin. When I did a course of Panchakarma last spring, the doctor strictly forbade me to eat pumpkin, more emphatically than any other foods, and later said that eating pumpkin would interfere with the treatment. He also strongly advised me to avoid pumpkin as much as possible afterwards.
What are the reasons for this? What is the Ayurvedic explanation, and the properties of pumpkin that would make it contraindicated?
(for info: I had (and still have) a high Vata condition with digestive problems, among others)

The second is cashews. I have found contradicting information about this food item: some Ayurvedic sources speak well of cashews, as being very nourishing and energizing (excellent for Vata like most nuts). Whereas some sources recommend that one not eat cashews at all. I have not yet been able to find any explanation for any properties of cashews that would make them counterindicated as a general food item. Can you shed any light here?

With many thanks in advance for your attention and help and warm greetings from France,

Dear Aaron,

I never heard such things. Though Pumpkin is avoided in those person who are taking Rasayan treatment or taking any medicines contains Mercury and Gold ashes.
Regarding Cashew it is very good food rich of nutrients and is a part of many food supplements or rasayan medicines of Ayurveda and Siddha and Unani system of medicines.
You can take this without any doubt but keeping in mind your digestive fire.
Wish you a good health always.
Feel free to write me any time for any further query or doubt.

Dr.Gary Dehal

Any question related to Ayurveda.

Now i have a total experience of around 19 years including 7 years of clinical experience.

Divya Sanjeevani Ayurveda Hospital Ayurveda Himachal

Amar Ujala,Punjab Kesari,Arogya patrika,chikitsa pallav...

I am studying the different system of medicines since 1989.First i did 4 years BEMS and then MD(AM),Ayurveda Rattan,Vaidya Visharad,certificate in Food & Nutrition,BAMS(bachelor of Ayurveda) and now doing DNYS(diplome in yoga and naturopathy).

Distinguised Pattron-All India Ayurveda Congress,New Delhi. Vice-President-Himachal Pradesh State Ayurveda Doctors Union. Fellow Academy of General Education,Manipal. Special Life Member-AYUSH medical Association. Special member-Bharat Swabhiman Trust,Patanjali Yogpeeth Trust,Haridwar.

Civil servant,bureaucrat,senior police officer,professor,businessman.