BDSM/master-slave relationship

Question
um...I was recently introduced to the master slave relationship...I showed interest into it to an experienced master...he wants to train me and what not to be a slave...I understand limitations and the ideal of the master slave relationship is more than just sexual it is a lifestyle that uphold an ideal that is embodied in the Master. I was wondering what I should expect in the "training/breaking" process...?

Answer
ali -

From my perspective, every relationship has a power component (husband/wife; teacher/student; officer/student; parent/child; boss/employee).  What distinguishes BDSM relationships is that the power component is intentional, consensual, and celebrated.  Rather than being a source of conflict, the power dynamic is a source of pleasure and strength.

Master/slave relationships are more expansive versions of this power dynamic -- with the transfer of control being both deep and wide.  What that looks like will vary with the individuals involved.  The relationship can focus on sexual service, or be non-sexual; it can include a lot of rituals and rules, or be free of those regimented routines; it can presume punishment as a means of behavioral correction, or it can be free of punishment and rely on other means of education.  

Given this diversity, there is no one single answer as to what "training" entails.  From my perspective, "training" is simply the process of a Master teaching a slave what behavior, actions and services are expected.  

As a result, my suggestion would be that you approach this Master to understand what he has in mind.  There is no universal requirement that a slave agrees to transfer control to any approaching Master.  It is something you evaluate whether it works for you, and negotiate the framework.  Here are a few issues you might to explore together:

*  What areas of your life does he intend to control (sex? where you live?  work/school?  friends/family? finances?)?
*  What experience does he have in running M/s relationships and controlling these areas?
*  What are the areas in which he wants to train you?
*  What methods of training does he use?
*  What are his relationship goals?
*  Will the relationship be monogamous or polyamorous - and how will that work?
*  What motivates his desire to own a slave?
*  How would he handle your failure to meet a directive?
*  Can you talk to any prior slaves or others in the Lifestyle that can provide references?

Knowing your own answers to these questions will help the discussion.

All the best,

Ben

BDSM

Ben Martin