BDSM/Sub with Vanilla Partner

Question
My ex-boyfriend of three years and I had an amazing dom/sub sex life, with me being the sub. However, my new boyfriend of only a month or so is pretty vanilla. I on the other hand love to be dominated. I've expressed my desires to him and he has no "problem' with them, and has even pulled my hair and spanked me a little. However, he seems uncomfortable when he holds me down, and upon discussion with him about my desires he says that he would just feel like he's acting. I want him to be able to choke me and be very rough with me etc. without him  feeling weird. I'm not sure what to do because I want to please him but I also want to be dominated more. I am asking so early in the relationship so this isn't a problem I just hope gets better or that I ignore. Other than this, sex with him is wonderful. Thank you for your attention to my concerns.

Answer
paige.

At times, it takes a while for a vanilla person in a new relationship to hash out the discrepancy between the "normal" relationship they assumed they'd have, with the kinky relationship that's evolving before their eyes. The idea that their new girlfriend is "into that kind of stuff" can be shocking at first, so you have to be understanding about that. This person may have a flood of questions but not know how to ask. There are many misconceptions of BDSM from every direction. The same trouble you're having adjusting to a more vanilla dynamic than you had before is virtually the same problem your new boyfriend is encountering, only in reverse. Both of you must communicate, dispel rumors and misinformation, work together, and be patient - if you are invested enough in this lifestyle to NEED it to continue. If not, have fun, pine for someone else, and then end the relationship when you find someone more suited to you. It's your decision, and it's early enough to make it without much consequence. So do it now.

Madame Rax.

BDSM

Madame Rax