BDSM/How do i fit in

Question
I read a short story a while ago on a girls introduction to the D/s lifestyle. I was rivetted and could not put it down, nor have I been able to stop thinking about it. I am trying to explore and research a little but am a unsure if I would ever fit in. While i wish to to be submissive in the bedroom, i am frightened of giving up control of the other areas of my life. So much so that i am a strong decision maker and wish to stay that way but I desire to be submissive in my intimate life. Is this ever normal/possible of a D/s relationship? I am 34 two kids and have a career.

Thank you for considering my question
curious and confused.

Answer
Paulina -

You're asking the right question. Or, more accurately, you're starting the process of self-discovery that can ultimately provide you the answer you're looking for (remember: there is no single right answer - but there is the right answer for you).

To begin, it's good to recognize that BDSM is a big umbrella that covers a lot of options - from people that enjoy occassional kinky sex to those that have intentionally and consensually highly structured, hierarchical power-based dynamics.

You can start the process by considering:

1. What is it that draws you to the lifestyle?
2.  Is this a divergence to "spice things up" or a foundational feature of your life and relationships?
3. If you're open to transferring authority, is it limited by time (weekends only?), space (just the bedroom?), or scope (not my job?)?
4. Do you want a relationship, or is it casual play?
5. Is there "love" or is it focused on something else?
6. What attributes, characteristics, experiences and values do you want in a partner?

You state that you're reluctant to give up control outside the bedroom - in part because you're a strong decision maker. That's a perfectly valid position. But be aware that there are many slaves that have ceded total control that are strong, competent, successful individuals.

My strongest advice: get out in your local community and meet people. Attend classes, munches, workshops, meetings and events. Try different subsets- from rope sluts to master/slave groups. See what is out there and what resonates in your soul

All the best on your journey

BDSM

Ben Martin