BDSM/Antidepressants and Subspace/Aftercare

Question
Should i have any concerns about being on antidepressants and subspace/aftercare?

i have only been in the kink community for about 6 weeks. At this point i know i am a bottom with submissive tendencies but currently unsure of the depths of those tendencies. While i have had a few experiences but currently not in a power exchange or dynamic relationship. i have been on antidepressants for many years and am curious as to what, if anything i should be concerned about in relation to scening and afterwards. i wish there was a kink friendly doctor list for the DFW area.

Answer
Hi, Diane --

Welcome to the land of BDSM. Up in Dallas, I'd urge you to go to Sanctuary and ask about the various groups that meet there. Ask to speak with Miss Lilly and tell her that Dr Bob sent you. If you have trouble finding their phone number, send me a private note here on AllExperts and I'll send it to you. It's a great club and I've known the owner for about a decade.  Jen and I come up and do presentations about twice a year.

To find a kink-friendly doctor in any part of the country, go to the website for The National Coalition for Sexual Freedom (NCSF) and look up their "kink-friendly professionals" tab.  I have lots of Dallas connections so if you aren't able quickly to find someone, write to me. My direct email is: PowerExchangeEditor@Yahoo.com

I'm on Wellbutrin and never noticed that it affected topping or bottoming or aftercare.  Presumably, the antidepressants have you emotionally stable, so -- theoretically -- you wouldn't have any more or less reaction to bottoming than anyone else.  Anyway, the Top is responsible for being able to "read" you to handle any landlines or emotional surprises that come along during play.

I asked Jen, my partner, and she said that in women, antidepressants can affect your ability to orgasm, but that's a different discussion than sm-play. As neither Jen nor I are doctors, we aren't sure what else to say to you about that.

Hope this helps,

Bob

BDSM

Robert Rubel (Dr. Bob)