BDSM/BDSM & Society

Question
I've been working on a paper for my college English. My thesis is "why society views BDSM as a morally reprehensive act". I am trying to prove that xenophobia (fear of the unknown or change) is a huge factor in society's perception but I cant find any information about why BDSM is kept so secretive. Please help!

Answer
Olivia:

this is one of the few times where I CAN NOT help. I live a lifestyle of total openness and honesty so the concept of deception (even to keeping this secret) is foreign to me.  My friends, work colleagues, family and children all know my lifestyle, my personal peculiarities and accept/reject this. I have never hidden what I am or why, nor do I support or condone subterfuge on the part of my peers, or family.  To many I am simply a "Creepy Old Man"  to others I am the epitome of a dominant, to yet others I a sick mother-f&*Ír.  Eacha re probably equally right, My 11 y/o son puts it best, "Dad is just weird... but in a good way".  SO the concept of keepign is secret is just a part of what I do, think or say.

Now if you have questions about it and why society thinks the way it is, change the question... ask why society is too hung up on social principles centuries old that are large built on hipocracy and denial of the essential fact that the human is a sexual animal and with an overtly inquisitive mind.  Denying BDSM is the last vestiges of a puritanical and repressive society bent on control of the bedroom to control the "minds" of the masses.  As I dom my control is intimate, shared and consensual....  Not many neo-puritans can say that.

BDSM

Aramock Nanuck