BDSM/questions re submissive

Question
Hello,
I am a 42 year old women who left an abusive and deeply unsatisfying marriage three years ago. I was with my ex husband for 16 years during which time there was physical but mostly emotional abuse (by the way I am no wilting flower) Our sex life was terrible in that I am open minded and he was very repressed bad mix!) Previous to my marriage I experimented a lot and enjoyed sex. During the last three years I have been completely single and had domestic abuse counselling  Over the last year I began to explore BDSM life style and read some literature and have since met a new partner. We didn't meet through a BDSM forum but have discovered we go together brilliantly him naturally dominant and me submissive with bondage appearing into our sex life naturally. Whilst this dynamic only appears in the bed room, I have a small quiet voice which keeps suggesting I am trying to recreate my abusive marriage. My new partner is very gentle and caring, is there a relationship between being submissive and previous abuse in your experience? I like what we do and would like to explore it further as would he...

Answer
kate:

I am no psychologist but in my past experiences I have seen connections of all kinds. Abuse is one of the most fervent and pervasive aspects of many a syndromes which seems to repeat.  There are always differences and variants but the certain aspects remain constant. First of particularly with physical abuse it is more masochistic rather than submissive tendencies which come to the forefront. So people like the pain because of the rush of adrenaline it gives them, the sense of being more alive than otherwise.  So because the pain causes and inverse of endorphins which is like a runners high, and others for the psychological sense of worthlessness that becomes manifest in the receiving of pain.  Regardless of which the effect is the same, the need for the pain to feel fulfilled.  However each of the reasons denotes different aspects of a the experiences and emotions affected.  I have found with most masos they try to repeat and get deeper into their niche situation for their own reasons. Feeling cared for, loved and nurtured at the same time however, denotes something other than the sensation of worthlessness. Those seeking the warmth genuinely feel worthy but are usually seeking a rush. I expect this is true in your case. I would suggest you talk to a psychologist about this more deeply but I will answer the underlying question unasked. "Yes you are sane.... just a kinky bitch."

BDSM

Aramock Nanuck