BDSM/being collared

Question
i am being collared this weekend. i am very excited about this but also very nervous.  i am confused on the differenct stages of collars.  and what do they mean??   also i have read that being collared is almost as important as being married.

help

Answer
Hi Anne - I apologize for the delay in answering, fortunately Ask knows when to send reminders about pending unabswered questions. :)

Stages of collaring: Some stages may be:(example dialog is from the Master's perspective)

Consideration - "Let's see how this works out for us. If it doesn't we can still be friends and play."

Training - "I'm going to invest my time and energy into getting you to meet my standards. If it doesn't work out that means I misjudged you. I'll be disappointed in both you and myself." OR "This is my training contract and you agree to ... for a period of ... At the end of your contract with me I will release you."

Permanent - "I have come to know you and you have earned my trust and I offer you my collar. This collar is a sign of my faith in you and my loyalty to you. In accepting this collar I expect nothing less than your unconditional loyalty and obdience."

HOWEVER - a collar means exactly what the Master means. In an Erotic Authority Relationship a collar can be for a night or a weekend and in wearing it the slave feels the calling to obedience while the Master feels the energy of receiving this obdience. Very hot, very erotic.

A training collar is, well, work. For both. Read Miss Aberathy's slave Training Guide. Not fun, work.

Permanent - this should be a lifetime committment. For me, marriage is a legal condition which we entered into for practical reasons. Every morning I put my slaves collar on her, every morning we recommit, rededicated ourselves to each other. Wedding vows are forgotten, quickly; meaningless. The collar is our committment, each morning, for her to serve me and for me to serve our relationship. I know M/s relationship where this collar took 5 or 6 years to earn. For me, it was over 2.

I hope this helps.

But, I have a feeling that if your Master to be has not been able to have a mutual understanding with you then perhaps they are not yet ready to be a Master. If they are unsure of the meaning to themselves, ubsure about the degree of honesty, integrity, and trust a collar signifies, then perhaps it is time to pause for a bit, to assess what this means to you both. To talk, as adults, about the meaning of this symbol to each of you; what will be given, what will be taken, where will this step lead.

To engage properly in any Authority Based Relationship, absolute honesty, on both sides, is needed if the relationship is to survive.

Followups welcome :)

Regards Brian  

BDSM

BrianR